Re: First Run a Success, but with a Question

  • Ted
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2013
      Thanks to both of you. I'm sure it is something that is soluble in alcohol, but not water. Probably fats or fusel oils. Who knows what's in Corn Flakes. It's well known that corn is an oily grain. It's also possible I collected too much and got into the tails where the fusels are more abundant.

      It tastes amazingly good for my first try, the haziness isn't really concerning to me, but others I might share it with may wonder about it. We'll see how my next run goes. It will be Uncle Jesse's recipe.

      Slohand42

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "GGB" wrote:

      > "The forum told me that it was fats and stuff in the distillate."
      >
      > The short answer is because the distillation brought over some substances that, unlike ethanol and water, are not polar. These are "oily" substances, like a class of oils called esters, for eg ethyl acetate. Some substances have degrees of polarity that make them partially soluble, and I am guessing when I say that may possibly include some of the higher alcohols which are collectively called fusel "oils."

    • jsducote
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
        I say let it age a bit. I made some lemoncello over the holidays that started out crystal clear (and canary yellow) but, when I bottled, it clouded up. Less than a month later it's very nearly clear again (and half gone- SO good with iced tea).
        -j