Please Help Save This Mash

  • shark_killah
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2013
      Is there anything I can do to save the batch below; It's currently sitting in the fermenting bucket with airlock in place but not a single bubble has come up. I put the batch in there for 11 hours and when I saw no bubbles I opened it to lower the PH from 5.85 to 5.30. After I added that lemon juice to lower the PH it's been sitting now for 6 hours for a total of 17 hours with not a single bubble. Should I re-pitch another 11.5 gram batch of the same yeast. Or try baking yeast? Or is it not too uncommon for these types of yeast to take so long to get going? When I opened the bucket to add the lemon there was no hint of fermentation going on.

      4 Lbs flaked corn
      10 oz two row malted barley (with corn)
      10 oz two row malted barley (at 152F)
      8 Lbs sugar (regular table sugar)
      11.5 grams yeast (Safale US-05 Pale Ale, by Fermentis)
      5 Gallons purified RO water (few drops of trace minerals added to nudge it, almost to spring water)
      2 tsp Gypsum
      5 grams Fermaid K (yeast nutrient)
      1 Tbs fresh squeeze lemon juice
      1 Tbs 5.2 PH buffer

      Starting Specific Gravity is 1.100

      Kind Thanks !
    • John Brase
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
        Don't panic yet. Take another SG reading to confirm that it's not working. I often have no bubble activity but it is still fermenting.

        --
        Sent from my Android phone with K-9
        Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
          Did you oxygenate?  Such a high gravity will need oxygen and lots of cells. If your gravity is still 1.100, pitch again. It's fairly uncommon that a batch of sugar won't ferment anything. Also, how are you measuring pH?

[...]

        • ballard_bootlegger
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
            +1. The first thing that came to mind was the oxygen, but you said you added water. If the water was cold it most likely had enough oxygen in it, but it still can't hurt to stir it like crazy or pour it back and forth a few times. My next thought is you may have pitched too hot and killed the yeast. How does it smell/tatse? This is a couple days ago so I'm thinking by now you probably have re-pitched, how is it working out?

            Drinkwell,
            W.