Re: New Guy Here

  • Ted
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2013
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" wrote:

      > This "book" you inherited? Is this a printed book they used, or is it
      > records and recipes they created? Either way, that could be of great
      > interest here.

      The book is a printed book titled, Moonshiners Manual by Michael
      Barleycorn (yeah, right), copyrighted and printed in 1975 by Oliver
      Press in Willits, CA.  It's a good general intro into distilling corn
      liquor with a pot still.  It gives history, legality, a basic
      sugar/corn wash recipe and shows how to build a pressure cooker pot
      still.

      The old guy and his buddies got a still and tried it.  They burnt the
      mash, but being the reprobates they were, they forced themselves to
      drink it anyway.

      > Although cornflake washes have always been popular, I didn't know
      Mason
      > did one. Mason's Universal Mash (MUM wash) is my standard sugar wash,
      > using tomato paste and Miracle Gro fertilizer. Is the cornflake wash
      > anything like that? A lot of people do variants of the Uncle Jesse's
      > wash, but it's often because they don't have your skills with
      allgrain,
      > or just don't care to mash.

      I'm pretty sure I got the corn flake recipe here in the archives
      somewhere.  It looked easy and I wanted to get an easy run or two in
      first.  Although I'm chompin' at the bit to do an AG batch, I
      wanted to test out the still and learn the process before I put the
      time and effort into the AG mash only to ruin it.

      Slohand Ted
    • Ted
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 18, 2013
      • donhaynes42
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2013
          how do i view the pics in your folder

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 19, 2013
            They are in the folder "My First Still" by slohand42.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 19, 2013
              Here is he link.