Re: [new_distillers] First Test Run With A New Pot Still

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2013
      Experimentation.  This is only the third time that I have used my new pot still, and the second time that I have ever distilled my samples.  Just figured out where my head/heart cut should be.  Temp and flow was watched, but there was no significant change in flow between 189 F and 204 F.  195 F was selected as a guess point.  Not really sure I want to taste it yet because it has an unpleasant odor (Bread yeast was used in my early samples, my other yeast is still fermenting.)

      My thinking on removing heart from a stripping run is simple.  What kind of product do you get when you remove heart in a striping run and remove heart from that in a finish run?  My family was not Moonshiners, so I am learning as I go.  Most of my heads and tails will eventually be processed into industrial products and bio-fuel.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
        I did my fourth run, and my head is 185 F to 193 F, heart 193 F to 194 F (but cut it at 195 F), and tails 195 F to 205 F.  Just cleaning up my samples so far, so I will have 1 or 2 more runs to clean up my samples that are not fermenting.  A 2.5 gal pot takes awhile to complete a run with electric.  Can't wait to run my good samples.

        Robert