Re: (progress!) More construction questions...

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
      No problem with repetition, Damion. I'm just sorry I've been so slow responding.

      As far as configuration of that coffeepot still head, aside from proper vapor flow and condensation, a major criterion was balance. That whole question mark shape was something I stole from a little gin still on homedistillers, because it comes close to putting the center of mass of the still head close to the centerline of the boiler. With the typical (sorta) round-bottom coffeepot, if you get the center of mass too far off to the side, the whole still just tips over, which is a pain. Admittedly, you can build some sort of support, but I wanted construction to be as simple as possible. With its wide base, the Erlenmeyer will be a lot more forgiving with respect to tipping over, so you could probably extend the vapor path (after the condenser, which gets heavy when filled with water) out to the side enough to allow collection glass placement. A longer cooling jacket would make the tipping problem worse.

      As far as height of the condenser output goes, I just used a pancake-mix can (all very high-tech) to raise the collection glass up to the condensate output.

      I hope this helps, but if you need more, please don't hesitate.