Re: [new_distillers] First Test Run With A New Pot Still

  • Fredrick Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2013
      From sugar water there probably won't be a good heart.

      Distillation is the extraction half of the process, fermentation is where delicious half is made.

      Start with good ingredients and good shine will come out.

      On Jan 17, 2013, at 3:13 PM, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

      I had a 1/2 gal of recovered ice water from my freeze distillation process, so I run it through my new pot still just to see what the results would be. It was around 6% abv.

      My cuts seemed to be

      155 F - 166 F (were dumped because it had an ungodly smell)
      173 F - 194 F (Seemed to be the heart)
      194 F - 203 F (Seems to be the tails)

      My end results was 75 proof, but it smells like turpentine or glue.

      I realize that my head cut should have been made at around 173 F to 185F, my heart cut 186 F to 193 F, and my tail at 194 F to 203 F.

      My biggest question is what should good hearts smell like?

      Robert

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2013
        Right now I am freaking out.  I did a 2 gal striping run with my better wash samples.  I did cuts on my striping run (Hearts) came out at 120 proof.  I even tested a few drops by setting it on fire.  I have never read of any pot still producing 60 abv. on a striping run.

        It started dripping at 151 F and all up to 173 F was tossed.  Head cut was from 173 F to 189 F. Heart cut was 189 F to 195 F, and my tails is 195 F until 200 +.

        When I can collect enough hearts from my samples, it will be interesting to see what my proof will be with the next finish run.

        Robert

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2013
            Experimentation.  This is only the third time that I have used my new pot still, and the second time that I have ever distilled my samples.  Just figured out where my head/heart cut should be.  Temp and flow was watched, but there was no significant change in flow between 189 F and 204 F.  195 F was selected as a guess point.  Not really sure I want to taste it yet because it has an unpleasant odor (Bread yeast was used in my early samples, my other yeast is still fermenting.)

            My thinking on removing heart from a stripping run is simple.  What kind of product do you get when you remove heart in a striping run and remove heart from that in a finish run?  My family was not Moonshiners, so I am learning as I go.  Most of my heads and tails will eventually be processed into industrial products and bio-fuel.

            Robert

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
              I did my fourth run, and my head is 185 F to 193 F, heart 193 F to 194 F (but cut it at 195 F), and tails 195 F to 205 F.  Just cleaning up my samples so far, so I will have 1 or 2 more runs to clean up my samples that are not fermenting.  A 2.5 gal pot takes awhile to complete a run with electric.  Can't wait to run my good samples.

              Robert