Re: [new_distillers] use of copper tuve

  • Blackhat-Whitedog
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
      Momma loved those copper pots and pans, actually used them (not just hung them on hooks to be pretty.  Of course that meant I had to clean the dang things.

      and we'd use lemon and salt.

      so I don't think it changed the copper chemically, but dampness could have left some clumps stuck inside and you wouldn't want any salt in your distillate.   Since this is a new still, you should do a cleaning run anyway.

      Dear All

      I have filled a 1/2" three meter long copper tube with salt powder to bend and make a coil.  For nearly two months the salt filled copper tube is left idling.  Has any adverse chemical reactions taken place and can I still use the copper to form a coil.  I am still new to distilling.  Can any member tell me whether it is good or bad to use this copper tube now.

      raymond

    • GGB
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2013
        I think it would mainly depend on whether water or water vapour had been able to enter the pipe and moisten the salt. Even then I doubt anything serious would have happened. Copper forms lots of different compounds and perhaps it might have reacted with the Cl- ions in the moist salt to form either of two types of copper chloride. However both are soluble in hydrochloric acid. If you notice any white or green-blue or brown deposits inside the pipe you can use HCl (cheapest obtained from swimming pool supply shops I find) to dissolve and wash them away. Industrial refrigeration engineers may be able to help you bend up the pipe, it's in their field of work.