Re: [new_distillers] Re: More silly questions

  • dhaynes42@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 12, 2013

      Guys:

      I have just finished a mash of black beards rum and I am getting a hydram reading of 60 to get it to 90 do I add water or more brown suger.

      Don//

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 12, 2013
        Don,

        If I'm reading this correctly, you read a specific gravity of 1.060 and you want to get a specific gravity of 1.090. You need to add more sugar.

        ----snip----
      • dhaynes42@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013

          Bob:

          what i did was 12 lbs of brown suger and one qt of honey heated approx 6 gal water to 120 deg and mixed in the suger and honey. I let it cool to about 80 deg and took a reading and got 1.60. since I am a novice and the instruction said that it should be 90 but no more than 100 I was unsure how to get to that number. What I did was added more water to the mix and then added turbo yeast. this morning it appears to be doing good with good bubbles coming out of the air lock.

          any advice would be welcome.

          Don

          If I'm reading this correctly, you read a specific gravity of 1.060 and you want to get a specific gravity of 1.090. You need to add more sugar.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dhaynes42@... wrote:

          > Guys:
          >
          > I have just finished a mash of black beards rum and I am getting a hydram reading of 60 to get it to 90 do I add water or more brown suger.
          >
          > Don//

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013
            Doing a little bit of guessing at the final volume and amount of sugar in the honey, I'm going to say that would be 13 pounds of sugar in 7 gallons of solution, which should be a specific gravity of about 1.085, pretty close to 1.090.

            You're in the ballpark.