Re: More silly questions

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 11, 2013
      I'll admit to being confused by the caution over boiling water (or aqueous solutions) in Pyrex (borosilicate) glass. A a chemistry major, I spend hours boiling aqueous solutions over open flames. Who knew I was taking my life in my hands?

    • dhaynes42@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 12, 2013

        Guys:

        I have just finished a mash of black beards rum and I am getting a hydram reading of 60 to get it to 90 do I add water or more brown suger.

        Don//

        Pyrex is hard to find these days. You don't need it though. The advantage is that it can go from hot to cold without exploding/cracking

        Also, your wash isn't boiling at 212F, instead at some lower temp based on the concentration of alcohol in the wash. The ' do not boil' is for the lawyers

        According to chemists, alcohol IS a solution

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "damionpseudonym" wrote:

        > (The last raft of answers-to-questions was super helpful, thank you a bunch...here's a few more...)
        >
        > 1: I'm diligently following the steps in Z-Bob's book (which is a startlingly good read), trying to build my own mini-tester still before I sink a pile of cash into a full blown potstill. Copper, tubes, benders, pumps, all of that are no problem, but I am having a devil of a time finding a pyrex coffee pot, suitable for boiling in. Everything I'm finding both in shops and online all read "DO NOT BOIL LIQUIDS IN THIS", in big scary letters. Is this just boilerplate (ha ha....puns are awesome) safety text? Or is the requirement for pyrex an absolute? I found one that says it's a stove top coffee pot, but it also says "remove from heat the minute boiling starts", so, I am unsure (due to inexperience).
        >
        > And as an aside, I'm just about ready to start torching the glut of cartridge based coffee machines I keep having to wade through. Abominations that they are.
        >
        > 2: the sportsball term and other selection process term called "making the cut", is it really derived from this hobby? If so, cool.
        >
        > Thanks
        > -=DPseudo

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 12, 2013
          Don,

          If I'm reading this correctly, you read a specific gravity of 1.060 and you want to get a specific gravity of 1.090. You need to add more sugar.

          ----snip----
        • dhaynes42@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013

            Bob:

            what i did was 12 lbs of brown suger and one qt of honey heated approx 6 gal water to 120 deg and mixed in the suger and honey. I let it cool to about 80 deg and took a reading and got 1.60. since I am a novice and the instruction said that it should be 90 but no more than 100 I was unsure how to get to that number. What I did was added more water to the mix and then added turbo yeast. this morning it appears to be doing good with good bubbles coming out of the air lock.

            any advice would be welcome.

            Don

            If I'm reading this correctly, you read a specific gravity of 1.060 and you want to get a specific gravity of 1.090. You need to add more sugar.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dhaynes42@... wrote:

            > Guys:
            >
            > I have just finished a mash of black beards rum and I am getting a hydram reading of 60 to get it to 90 do I add water or more brown suger.
            >
            > Don//

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 13, 2013
              Doing a little bit of guessing at the final volume and amount of sugar in the honey, I'm going to say that would be 13 pounds of sugar in 7 gallons of solution, which should be a specific gravity of about 1.085, pretty close to 1.090.

              You're in the ballpark.