Re: [new_distillers] Yeast Experiment

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
      Thanks Lee,

      For now, my yeast experiment will fail because I an not operating under good sanitary conditions.  My yeast experiments will continue once sanitary conditions are achievable.   Maybe I will try a wild yeast experiment in the mean time.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
        Stir frequently; perhaps use an aquarium pump or something like it.  Yeast will procreate under aerobic conditions and make alcohol under anaerobic conditions, so  make sure that the solution is well aeroated.  In addition, you need to add sugar (you said that nutirents would be replaced -- this includes the sugar that supplies the energy for the yeast to reproduce).  Additionally, you should check the pH periodically as you add "water and nutrients" and keep it stable with the lemon juice or whatever you are using.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2013
          I think you may be thinking too small.
          In my experience with salt water aquaria, smaller tanks are much more fragile than larger ones. This is because a small change in water chemistry causes a larger proportional change to the overall health of the tank. In salt water tanks, 30 gallons is about the minimum many experts recommend. It may be cost/space prohibitive for you personally, but you might have greater success with a larger volume.

          I also wonder if you need to monitor the buildup of nitrates and nitrites due to the decomposition of the dead yeast and the inevitable (perhaps not) introduction of stray bacteria. In addition to extracting your samples, consider regularly siphoning waste from the bottom of your vessel and replacing with fresh water & nutrients.
          -j

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

          > Thanks Lee,
          >
          > For now, my yeast experiment will fail because I an not operating under good sanitary conditions.  My yeast experiments will continue once sanitary conditions are achievable.   Maybe I will try a wild yeast experiment in the mean time.
          >
          > Robert
          > ________________________________

        • Fredrick Lee
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2013
            We regularly keep and use 500ml starters for many weeks (sometimes 10) with no adverse effects. Our weekly health procedure for each flask is mostly:

            1.) Use up to half of the flask for whatever.
            2.) add few ml of pH 3 acidified boiled water (distilled vinegar works fine)
            3.) add a few ml of 7.5% sodium chlorite
            4.) top off with oxygenated, nutrient enriched 1.040 wort.

            Which reminds me, I don't see how Robert will be able to get oxygen inside the bottle, but I think a 2-liter would work for a good long time if he figures that out.

            On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:33 AM, "jsducote" <jsducote@...> wrote:

            I think you may be thinking too small.
            In my experience with salt water aquaria, smaller tanks are much more fragile than larger ones. This is because a small change in water chemistry causes a larger proportional change to the overall health of the tank. In salt water tanks, 30 gallons is about the minimum many experts recommend. It may be cost/space prohibitive for you personally, but you might have greater success with a larger volume.

            I also wonder if you need to monitor the buildup of nitrates and nitrites due to the decomposition of the dead yeast and the inevitable (perhaps not) introduction of stray bacteria. In addition to extracting your samples, consider regularly siphoning waste from the bottom of your vessel and replacing with fresh water & nutrients.
            -j

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

            > Thanks Lee,
            >
            > For now, my yeast experiment will fail because I an not operating under good sanitary conditions.  My yeast experiments will continue once sanitary conditions are achievable.   Maybe I will try a wild yeast experiment in the mean time.
            >
            > Robert
            > ________________________________

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2013
              Fredrick:

              That is easy!  Shake the bottle vigorously several times a day.

              1) leave cap loose to allow CO2 to escape.
              2) remove cap to allow fresh air in
              3) replace cap and tighten.
              4) shake vigorously.
              5) remove cap to allow fresh air in.
              6) replace cap loosely.

              I just switched out 2 qt soda bottle because the bottom dimples were almost full of dead yeast.
              Since I want to use my yeast for my samples without concern for adjustment period, I raise my yeast in the same solution as my wash.

              1) water
              2) sugar
              3) salt
              4) DAP
              5) multivitamin
              6) lemon juice (I will have to try vinegar one day.)

              I will add corn starch to this mix when my experiments turn to grains.

              Robert

              We regularly keep and use 500ml starters for many weeks (sometimes 10) with no adverse effects. Our weekly health procedure for each flask is mostly:

              1.) Use up to half of the flask for whatever.
              2.) add few ml of pH 3 acidified boiled water (distilled vinegar works fine)
              3.) add a few ml of 7.5% sodium chlorite
              4.) top off with oxygenated, nutrient enriched 1.040 wort.

              Which reminds me, I don't see how Robert will be able to get oxygen inside the bottle, but I think a 2-liter would work for a good long time if he figures that out.

              On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:33 AM, "jsducote" <jsducote@...> wrote:

              I think you may be thinking too small.
              In my experience with salt water aquaria, smaller tanks are much more fragile than larger ones. This is because a small change in water chemistry causes a larger proportional change to the overall health of the tank. In salt water tanks, 30 gallons is about the minimum many experts recommend. It may be cost/space prohibitive for you personally, but you might have greater success with a larger volume.

              I also wonder if you need to monitor the buildup of nitrates and nitrites due to the decomposition of the dead yeast and the inevitable (perhaps not) introduction of stray bacteria. In addition to extracting your samples, consider regularly siphoning waste from the bottom of your vessel and replacing with fresh water & nutrients.
              -j

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

              > Thanks Lee,
              >
              > For now, my yeast experiment will fail because I an not operating under good sanitary conditions.  My yeast experiments will continue once sanitary conditions are achievable.   Maybe I will try a wild yeast experiment in the mean time.
              >
              > Robert
              > ________________________________

            • Fredrick Lee

                We regularly keep and use 500ml starters for many weeks (sometimes 10) with no adverse effects. Our weekly health procedure for each flask is mostly:

                1.) Use up to half of the flask for whatever.
                2.) add few ml of pH 3 acidified boiled water (distilled vinegar works fine)
                3.) add a few ml of 7.5% sodium chlorite
                4.) top off with oxygenated, nutrient enriched 1.040 wort.

                Which reminds me, I don't see how Robert will be able to get oxygen inside the bottle, but I think a 2-liter would work for a good long time if he figures that out.

                On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:33 AM, "jsducote" <jsducote@...> wrote:

                I think you may be thinking too small.
                In my experience with salt water aquaria, smaller tanks are much more fragile than larger ones. This is because a small change in water chemistry causes a larger proportional change to the overall health of the tank. In salt water tanks, 30 gallons is about the minimum many experts recommend. It may be cost/space prohibitive for you personally, but you might have greater success with a larger volume.

                I also wonder if you need to monitor the buildup of nitrates and nitrites due to the decomposition of the dead yeast and the inevitable (perhaps not) introduction of stray bacteria. In addition to extracting your samples, consider regularly siphoning waste from the bottom of your vessel and replacing with fresh water & nutrients.
                -j

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

                > Thanks Lee,
                >
                > For now, my yeast experiment will fail because I an not operating under good sanitary conditions.  My yeast experiments will continue once sanitary conditions are achievable.   Maybe I will try a wild yeast experiment in the mean time.
                >
                > Robert

              • RLB
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 12, 2013
                  Fredrick

                  Good idea.  Don't forget that I usually start my experiments with what I have on hand.  If my experiments are somewhat successful and not more complicated then my ability, my experiments progress to the next level.  This is my first attempt at trying to cultivate yeast, so mistakes will most likely to happen before my skill becomes proficient.  My yeast experiment is only six days old, and my yeast is still alive.  We will see how well it does in a month.  I still need to order on line a PH meter.

                  Robert