Re: [new_distillers] methonol

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
      It sounds like you are freeze distilling like I have done for the pass 2 months.  In my last sample experiment, there was 6.5 abv alcohol left in the ice water that was discarded.  That is way too much alcohol to be wasting down my drain.  I will receive my still in the next 2 weeks, so all freeze experiments have stopped.

      From what I have read and heard there is little Methanol in sugar wash, but your yeast might not taste very good if you drink it without filtering.

      You are most likely using too much yeast like I did in the past.  I was told that most distillers use 5g of yeast for 5 gallon of water.  My next experiment will take a 5g pack of Lalavin EC-1118 yeast and place it in a liquid medium to raise my yeast in a quart container.  It will then be divided equally (5 oz) into 6 -1 gallon jugs.

      3-1/2 cups of sugar in 2 qt container will most likely leave you with unused sugar in your wash.  Bakers yeast can't tolerate high alcohol abv.  I would be surprised if you obtained over 4% abv using bakers yeast.   I used bread yeast for the past 3 months because it was cheap to experiment with, but the results were disappointing.  Freeze distillation helped to concentrate my wash, but there was too much waste in the ice as previously stated.

      You need better yeast and a small cheap still for better results.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2013
        I believe methanol is a product of wood fermentation. If you don't have wood chips in your fermentation vessel, you should have no methanol. Also, someone correct me if I am wrong, but methanol boils before ethanol and will be part of the heads of which you dispose of.

        Walter.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, regal de silva wrote:

        > I use 3-1/2 tea cups of sugar, 2 liter water to make the mash and add a packet of 12 grams �bakers instant dry yeast..and leave �the wash for 30 days. Thereafter I freeze 2 half bottles at a time and obtain the liquor. �Is there methanol in the liquor I obtain. �Is it harmful to drink. �I follows recommended temperature at every stage. I intend to do pot distillation later.
        >
        > I await some advice and guidance from your experienced people!
        >
        > Raymond�

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2013
          Methanol is one of the compounds liberated from wood in destructive distillation, where the wood is heated until it starts to break down and the vapors are collected. That's where the the name "wood alcohol" comes from, and it has no bearing on the distilling we do.

          Methanol is created during fermentation, though fermenting pectins in fruit and fermenting (I'm not exactly sure what) in grain. It's not produced at all in fermentation of sugar washes. Even in fruit and grain wash fermentation, the amount of methanol produced is not harmful to drink, but it is concentrated in the foreshots and heads that we discard in spirit runs. Although it's commonly thought that methanol is the reason for the harsh flavor notes in those discarded fractions, methanol is almost tasteless in ethanol. It's the discarded acetone, acetaldehyde, and ethyl acetate that give most of the harsh flavors.