Freeze Distillation

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2013
      Over the past few months, I have conducted freeze distillation experiments, so my wash could be stored until a still could be purchased.

      At first the collected ice was just dumped down the drain, and someone brought up the issue of wasting alcohol. Pressing was selected to extract any free liquid from ice crystals. In my last freeze distillation experiment most of the ice was recovered, I say last experiment because upon checking my ice water there is 6.5% abv alcohol in that 0.60 gallon ice water collected even after pressing. The ice water from the first pressing contained 2% abv., so you lose more alcohol as you concentrate your wash. There was a possibility that I was throwing away as much as 10% abv or more in my first experiments.

      Freeze distillation is out, but another idea has to to my attention that might have the same results without the loss of alcohol.

      Robert