Re: Long Fermentation

  • elmbrook@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
      From what you've explained so far it appears to me that you've a situation where you are fortunate to have a fairly sterile fermentation but are lacking in some of the nutrients needed for a faster sugar wash. You may want to consider adding DAP (diamonium phosphate - (NH4)2HPO4) Yeast need nitrogen and it appears your fermentation could use a bit of it. That said it is still fermenting and since you've no real problems you may want to consider just see how long can it go. I once had a fermentation go over two months at a slow continual rate.

      Hope that helps
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" wrote:

      > Has anyone encountered an unreasonably long fermentation?
      >
      > I am conducting sugar wash experiments since my new still will not arrive for another 2 weeks. In my experiment sample dated 11/29/12 it fermented until I stopped it on 01/05/13, it fermented for 37 days, and showed no signs of stopping anytime soon.
      >
      > Ingredients:
      >
      > 1 - gal. tap water
      > 2 - cups cane white sugar
      > 1 - tbsp. RapidRise bread yeast
      > 2 - multivitamins
      > 1 - tbsp. salt
      > 2 - tbsp lemon juice
      > 1 - garlic powder (Experiment to see if it would kill bacteria)
      >
      > It was later re-pitched with 1 cup sugar and a second tbsp. of yeast.
      >
      > I placed garlic powder in other samples, and they stalled after two weeks, so it does not seem to be the yeast.
      >
      > Any ideas why it fermented so long?

    • Ric Cunningham
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
        The nutrient issue is probably right on target. Getting into a routine of feeding the yeast some nutients beside the carbohydrates. If you do a little research on the fermentation of Mead and the step nutrient schedule you will see how much yeast needs to actually do it job in a nutrient deficient must/wort/wash. There are several products available at any homebrewing or wine making shop and online:

        Fermaid K
        DAP
        are among the most popular.

        From what you've explained so far it appears to me that you've a situation where you are fortunate to have a fairly sterile fermentation but are lacking in some of the nutrients needed for a faster sugar wash. You may want to consider adding DAP (diamonium phosphate - (NH4)2HPO4) Yeast need nitrogen and it appears your fermentation could use a bit of it. That said it is still fermenting and since you've no real problems you may want to consider just see how long can it go. I once had a fermentation go over two months at a slow continual rate.

        --
        US Navy - Always on watch
      • Ed Barcik
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013

          I have many long fermentations that go as long as 35 days. I use Turbo yeast but have very large ferments 110 liters and only use one bag of yeast although formula calls for 5 bags, found it unnecessary as long as you aerate and then just let it go. I’ve had one stuck ferment in 5+ years of this hobby. Temperature is certainly the key factor. Lower temps will extend the ferment quite a bit, I use a belt on my fermenter and keep the temp between 70 and 80F and when it starts to slow down, I generally shut it off depending on the hydrometer reading which I like going below .990

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
            Thanks, I was hoping there was enough nitrogen in multivitamins to replace ammonium phosphate which might draw undue attention from Homeland Security, FBI, and ATF for its other potential uses.

            My 11/29/12 experiment was duplicated on 12/30/12 with a control sample, so we will see how long they will ferment.

            Robert