Re: New to distilling

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7, 2013
      Mikie,

      As another allgrain brewer, I have to agree with you that allgrain makes wonderful beer, and your experience with it will get you better than halfway there, as far as learning about distillation.

      I'm a little unsure, though, as to just exactly what you want to make. Your allgrain beer, brewed without hops, run through a potstill and thumper, with the thumper also filled with that beer, will make wonderful malt whiskys, which you can vary using all the techniques you now use to make different beers. If I were you, I'd first make plain (single malt) whisky, and if you decide you'd like to add some fruit notes to it, macerate a small sample before you commit an entire run. You may just find that, after aging, that whisky is too fine to mess with.

      If you do decide to use fruit in the thumper, you can do it several different ways, and get several different results. You can put fruit juice, fruit wine, or fruit macerated in neutral in your thumper, but you'll have to experiment to see which you like.

      I've never used oak spirals, but they should work every bit as well as the oak chips, and oak splints cut from barrel staves that I use now. Just get the oak toasted to the degree that gives you the wood flavors you desire.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
    • mikie1856
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2013
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" wrote:

        > Mikie,
        >
        > As another allgrain brewer, I have to agree with you that allgrain makes
        > wonderful beer, and your experience with it will get you better than
        > halfway there, as far as learning about distillation.
        >
        > I'm a little unsure, though, as to just exactly what you want to make.
        > Your allgrain beer, brewed without hops, run through a potstill and
        > thumper, with the thumper also filled with that beer, will make
        > wonderful malt whiskys, which you can vary using all the techniques you
        > now use to make different beers. If I were you, I'd first make plain
        > (single malt) whisky, and if you decide you'd like to add some fruit
        > notes to it, macerate a small sample before you commit an entire run.
        > You may just find that, after aging, that whisky is too fine to mess
        > with.
        >
        > If you do decide to use fruit in the thumper, you can do it several
        > different ways, and get several different results. You can put fruit
        > juice, fruit wine, or fruit macerated in neutral in your thumper, but
        > you'll have to experiment to see which you like.
        >
        > I've never used oak spirals, but they should work every bit as well as
        > the oak chips, and oak splints cut from barrel staves that I use now.
        > Just get the oak toasted to the degree that gives you the wood flavors
        > you desire.
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        Yes Bob that is what I am looking for to do allot of test samples and find out what I like but to do a small fermentation everything I am getting from work sets me with 36 to 40 gallon tanks just some of the guys at work keep me in mind I got te other day this tank
         http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q490/thecrazyone5/0022_zpseb5dee50.jpg
        so I think it will come down to how much I run for each taste.
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 8, 2013
          Mikie,

          Nice looking tank.

          Actually, for allgrain whiskies, large fermenters are generally
          appropriate, because of the typically low-ABV of allgrain washes and the
          small amount of whisky they produce. I understand that you've been
          working with barley, which is the easiest of all grains to get lautered,
          sparged, high ABV washes from, and I think I recall you saying that
          you've done a 13% barley wine, but other grains are not nearly so easy
          to work with. That's why I suggested, especially with your skill level,
          that you start with a barley-malt whisky.

          Once you've got that down, then you can try corn, and then more
          difficult grains.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 11, 2013
            Well Bob,

            found the batch of beer I made though I would share
            Hops 2 oz Hallertau Herabrucker
                2 oz Saaz
                        2 oz UK Willamette
            Grains
                           1 lb Gilbertson & page Torrefied Barley flakes
                            3 lb MFB Caramel Munich Malt - 80-
                            8 lb vienna malt
                             1 lb caramel pilsner malt
                             4 lb best malz munich malt (Made in Germany)
                             6 lb Canada malting 2 row pale ale
                             6 lb cm 2 row premium brewers malt
                             1 Tf&S Crystal malt I ( 42-52 asbc)
            Yeast
                            activator lager
            This was one of the best beers I have ever planed out, the best tasting beer I had ever made .
            I am planing on taking the grain and see if I can make a whiskey out of it what do you think?
          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 11, 2013
              Hey Mikie,

              It's my guess that beer would make a very nice medium bodied malt whisk(e)y, with one exception. Omit the hops from a whiskey-wash beer recipe. Hops can introduce an odd flavor note that many find objectionable. To be sure, the Germans make a hopped-beer bierschnapps, but it doesn't taste like a whiskey.

              If you make that whiskey, keep us posted during the process.