Long Fermentation

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
      Has anyone encountered an unreasonably long fermentation?

      I am conducting sugar wash experiments since my new still will not arrive for another 2 weeks. In my experiment sample dated 11/29/12 it fermented until I stopped it on 01/05/13, it fermented for 37 days, and showed no signs of stopping anytime soon.

      Ingredients:

      1 - gal. tap water
      2 - cups cane white sugar
      1 - tbsp. RapidRise bread yeast
      2 - multivitamins
      1 - tbsp. salt
      2 - tbsp lemon juice
      1 - garlic powder (Experiment to see if it would kill bacteria)

      It was later re-pitched with 1 cup sugar and a second tbsp. of yeast.

      I placed garlic powder in other samples, and they stalled after two weeks, so it does not seem to be the yeast.

      Any ideas why it fermented so long?
    • elmbrook@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
        From what you've explained so far it appears to me that you've a situation where you are fortunate to have a fairly sterile fermentation but are lacking in some of the nutrients needed for a faster sugar wash. You may want to consider adding DAP (diamonium phosphate - (NH4)2HPO4) Yeast need nitrogen and it appears your fermentation could use a bit of it. That said it is still fermenting and since you've no real problems you may want to consider just see how long can it go. I once had a fermentation go over two months at a slow continual rate.

        Hope that helps
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" wrote:

        > Has anyone encountered an unreasonably long fermentation?
        >
        > I am conducting sugar wash experiments since my new still will not arrive for another 2 weeks. In my experiment sample dated 11/29/12 it fermented until I stopped it on 01/05/13, it fermented for 37 days, and showed no signs of stopping anytime soon.
        >
        > Ingredients:
        >
        > 1 - gal. tap water
        > 2 - cups cane white sugar
        > 1 - tbsp. RapidRise bread yeast
        > 2 - multivitamins
        > 1 - tbsp. salt
        > 2 - tbsp lemon juice
        > 1 - garlic powder (Experiment to see if it would kill bacteria)
        >
        > It was later re-pitched with 1 cup sugar and a second tbsp. of yeast.
        >
        > I placed garlic powder in other samples, and they stalled after two weeks, so it does not seem to be the yeast.
        >
        > Any ideas why it fermented so long?

      • Ric Cunningham
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
          The nutrient issue is probably right on target. Getting into a routine of feeding the yeast some nutients beside the carbohydrates. If you do a little research on the fermentation of Mead and the step nutrient schedule you will see how much yeast needs to actually do it job in a nutrient deficient must/wort/wash. There are several products available at any homebrewing or wine making shop and online:

          Fermaid K
          DAP
          are among the most popular.

          From what you've explained so far it appears to me that you've a situation where you are fortunate to have a fairly sterile fermentation but are lacking in some of the nutrients needed for a faster sugar wash. You may want to consider adding DAP (diamonium phosphate - (NH4)2HPO4) Yeast need nitrogen and it appears your fermentation could use a bit of it. That said it is still fermenting and since you've no real problems you may want to consider just see how long can it go. I once had a fermentation go over two months at a slow continual rate.

          --
          US Navy - Always on watch
        • Ed Barcik
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013

            I have many long fermentations that go as long as 35 days. I use Turbo yeast but have very large ferments 110 liters and only use one bag of yeast although formula calls for 5 bags, found it unnecessary as long as you aerate and then just let it go. I’ve had one stuck ferment in 5+ years of this hobby. Temperature is certainly the key factor. Lower temps will extend the ferment quite a bit, I use a belt on my fermenter and keep the temp between 70 and 80F and when it starts to slow down, I generally shut it off depending on the hydrometer reading which I like going below .990

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
              Thanks, I was hoping there was enough nitrogen in multivitamins to replace ammonium phosphate which might draw undue attention from Homeland Security, FBI, and ATF for its other potential uses.

              My 11/29/12 experiment was duplicated on 12/30/12 with a control sample, so we will see how long they will ferment.

              Robert