Re: [new_distillers] Re: Temp

  • Alex Netherton
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2013
      I think you will find that yeast is pretty much anaerobic. As soon is it begins to produce carbon dioxide, respiration is anaerobic anyway.

      Chris Riddiford wrote:

      Wow fair enough, that would explain it then, thanks for the help maybe ill keep it more simple and fine an easy spirts recipe to follow

      On Jan 2, 2013 3:54 PM, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      Chris,

      Two things strike me about your fermentation. First, when you boil the water, you drive out all the oxygen that the yeast needs to multiply, making the yeast's job very hard. You need to aerate/oxygenate the water before you pitch the yeast. This can be done by agitating the liquid with a whisk or a drywall mud stirrer (depending on the amount of wash you have) or by using an aquarium airstone to bubble air or O2 through the wash.

      Second, I hear no mention of yeast nutrients in your wash. Yeast does not live by sugar alone. Your local homebrew supply should have a couple-three kinds of yeast nutrient, or you can use DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) or Miracle-Gro or compound your own.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Riddiford wrote:

      > Okay fair enough but this raises a rather annoying question. For the second
      > time in a row my fermeting process hasn't really happened, I've chucked in
      > my dextros and carbon packs to boilling water then waitted till the temp
      > was 21-24 degress before adding my turbo yeast.
      >
      > It just seems to foam up and nothing else.
      ----snip----

    • Jeff Kimble
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2013

        Yeast require oxygen to reproduce,  there have been some experiments at New Belgium brewery around providing the oxygen in the form of olive oil.  zBob is correct in needing to oxygenate your wash to allow for the yeast growth.    After the growth phase comes the metabolization of alcohol.  Once the sugars are converted, the yeast will go dormant or die off and create additional flavors/phenols in your batch

        Your turbo yeast should contain all the nutrients for the yeast that's what makes it turbo, but with that comes more off flavors

        Cheers

        Chris Riddiford wrote:

        Wow fair enough, that would explain it then, thanks for the help maybe ill keep it more simple and fine an easy spirts recipe to follow

        On Jan 2, 2013 3:54 PM, "tgfoitwoods" zymurgybob@...> wrote:

        Chris,

        Two things strike me about your fermentation. First, when you boil the water, you drive out all the oxygen that the yeast needs to multiply, making the yeast's job very hard. You need to aerate/oxygenate the water before you pitch the yeast. This can be done by agitating the liquid with a whisk or a drywall mud stirrer (depending on the amount of wash you have) or by using an aquarium airstone to bubble air or O2 through the wash.

        Second, I hear no mention of yeast nutrients in your wash. Yeast does not live by sugar alone. Your local homebrew supply should have a couple-three kinds of yeast nutrient, or you can use DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) or Miracle-Gro or compound your own.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Riddiford wrote:

        > Okay fair enough but this raises a rather annoying question. For the second
        > time in a row my fermeting process hasn't really happened, I've chucked in
        > my dextros and carbon packs to boilling water then waitted till the temp
        > was 21-24 degress before adding my turbo yeast.
        >
        > It just seems to foam up and nothing else.
        ----snip----

      • Er. Prashant Jha
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 5, 2013
          In my industry(shree renuka sugars), we have 3 fermenters which works
          on continuous fermentation. We aerate first fermenter at the rate 600
          m3 air per hour with help of blower. Second fermenter is also airated
          bt less than first. Third fermenter is fully anaerobic. The
          development of yeast, cell development and growth occurs in first
          fermenter. Alcohol formation occurs in 2nd and third fermenter.
          Retention time of all three fermenters is 17 to 18 hours only n alc%
          in fermented wash is 8 %. Apart from that we also have yeast
          activation vessel. The yat recieves yeast slurry from decanter where
          yeast and wash gets seperated. Yat is heavily airated and it acts
          culture development vessel. The temperature of fermenter is kept at 33
          degree celcius.

          --
          Er. Prashant Jha
          Asst. Engineer