Re: [new_distillers] best place for glass jugs?

  • Jeff Kimble
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
      I go to my local home brew supply shops.

      example:

      I can get a case of 1/2 gallon for $20. the only reason to buy them is the quality/re-usability of the lids.    Cork works great in recycled bottles from the grocery store..

      On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Bill Rogers <bill.rogers@...> wrote:

      Looked a bit on the 'net and couldn't find anywhere to get 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon sized glass jugs.

      I saw places selling the half gallon for 13$.  which seems crazy since I can go to the local supermarket and get a half gallon glass jug full of apple cider for 5$ or 6$.

      Anyone know of a source?

    • Bill Rogers
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
        thanks sir

        On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

        Bill,

        Here's where I get mine. There are both gallon and half-gallons jugs on this page.
        http://store.homebrewheaven.com/categories.aspx?Keyword=jugs

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers wrote:

        > Looked a bit on the 'net and couldn't find anywhere to get 1/2 gallon or 1
        > gallon sized glass jugs.
        >
        > I saw places selling the half gallon for 13$. which seems crazy since I
        > can go to the local supermarket and get a half gallon glass jug full of
        > apple cider for 5$ or 6$.
        >
        > Anyone know of a source?

      • Len
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
          Try your local recycling center.  I went in and gave the attendant 50 cents each for 10 Carlo Rossi gallon jugs.  If you're in a recycling state it should work.  It was easy and cheap.

          Here's where I get mine. There are both gallon and half-gallons jugs on this page.
          http://store.homebrewheaven.com/categories.aspx?Keyword=jugs

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers wrote:

          > Looked a bit on the 'net and couldn't find anywhere to get 1/2 gallon or 1
          > gallon sized glass jugs.
          >
          > I saw places selling the half gallon for 13$. which seems crazy since I
          > can go to the local supermarket and get a half gallon glass jug full of
          > apple cider for 5$ or 6$.
          >
          > Anyone know of a source?

        • Bill Rogers

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
              This may only apply to the area that I live in, deep south,  USA. We have a county recycle center. I get three litter glass  wine jugs with screw-on caps from the center clear glass recycle bin. Technically, I guess I am stealing them, however since I faithfully recycle about 80-90% of the waste that I generate,  eventually the jugs will be returned to the recycle center. No quite the same in my eyes.

              Looked a bit on the 'net and couldn't find anywhere to get 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon sized glass jugs.

              I saw places selling the half gallon for 13$.  which seems crazy since I can go to the local supermarket and get a half gallon glass jug full of apple cider for 5$ or 6$.

              Anyone know of a source?
            • lhill0349
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                I use the 1/2 gallon Mason jars for storage and 1 quart size for collecting during distilling. All sizes available at most big stores - walmart or Ace etc.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers wrote:

                > Looked a bit on the 'net and couldn't find anywhere to get 1/2 gallon or 1
                > gallon sized glass jugs.
                >
                > I saw places selling the half gallon for 13$. which seems crazy since I
                > can go to the local supermarket and get a half gallon glass jug full of
                > apple cider for 5$ or 6$.
                >
                > Anyone know of a source?

              • Bill Rogers
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                  i did some more searching and found that uline sells gallons and half gallons for a decent price and they have wharehouses all over the place that you can do will-call at to save on shipping.  I hadn't thought of getting jugs from the recycling center, I'd be scared to get used glassware like that.  I'd never feel like it was clean enough.

                  On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM, lhill0349 <lhill0349@...> wrote:

                  I use the 1/2 gallon Mason jars for storage and 1 quart size for collecting during distilling. All sizes available at most big stores - walmart or Ace etc.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers wrote:

                  > Looked a bit on the 'net and couldn't find anywhere to get 1/2 gallon or 1
                  > gallon sized glass jugs.
                  >
                  > I saw places selling the half gallon for 13$. which seems crazy since I
                  > can go to the local supermarket and get a half gallon glass jug full of
                  > apple cider for 5$ or 6$.
                  >
                  > Anyone know of a source?

                • Ed Barcik
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013

                    I don’t know about shipping but these are quite inexpensive, I’m not far so I just pick them up.

                    http://www.clevelandbottle.com/product/category-73cd46cb-9ea2-41a7-80fd-2f7eac0c251d.aspx

                  • driftinnagain
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                      Check out local restaurants or bars that have food. They get all sorts of stuff in gallon glass jars and most will give them to you....just to get rid of them. Just ask.