Re: [new_distillers] Longtime Lurker, with a few newbie questions....

  • Alex Netherton
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2012
      Damion, this is a simple old time onion still like your grandfather or his counterpart in the Southern Appalachians might have used sans the thump keg. A thump keg was/is just another method of condensing out the fusel oils and cooking the mash. Most old timers of the 20th Century would have used a thumper to cut out having to double the run. Fusel oils are the bad chemicals like methanol, propanol and isopropanol, butanol, various ethers and ketones and such. Some of them add to the flavors of the product, such as esters, but some give it a skanky chemical taste. Doubling is taking your whole run and cleaning your still thoroughly and running it back through. A thumper cuts this out. Flavor profiles will be different from a doubled run and a single run on a thumper. Single-foot is run through the still once, double-foot is running through the still twice in order to get a higher proof and purer alcohol.
      Alex Netherton
      Blue Ridge Discovery

      On 12/29/2012 11:38 AM, damionpseudonym wrote:

      Hi!
      My name's Damion, I've been lurking here for the 8 to 10 months, just sort of soaking up as many clues as I can, and since the new year is arriving, and I'm now on a (self imposed) deadline to make my own stuff, I figure it's time to start asking questions.

      A few things:

      1) I'm a total newb. I've never made wine, or beer, or anything like that, nor do I particularly want to. If it's an absolutely necessary step, then I suppose I'll have to, but I'd rather avoid it. (Not so much a qyestion as a statement of preference)

      2) I'm starting from square one, and I have zero practical knowledge at this point, so please, please please please.... keep it simple. While I've been lurking and reading don't assume I retain what any of the lingo means. Thank you, a lot, in advance, for keeping it simple. (Most of you do, and I thank the gods for that.....) This by way of saying, "please don't be offended if I ask what (term X) means in small words and pictures" ... I'll try and keep that to a minimum.

      3) This (http://www.whiskeystill.net/collections/frontpage/products/3240-buy-a-whiskey-still-for-sale) is the initial still I'm looking at getting in the next couple months. Are these worth it? It looks (to my untrained eye) about as simple as they come, and that's the most important thing to me right now. (Trying to avoid jumping in the deep end with column stills and thumpers and such yet .... from what I've been reading, it seems that's a more complicated process... unless I missed something.)

      If that still/company isn't on the up-and-up, can anyone recommend a good, simple, pot still that is suitable for beginners? I would very much rather buy than make one, my DIY ethos extends to the booze, not the tools.

      4) Is there any qualitative difference between electrical heating for a run and gas heating? I may need to be doing this in a guest-house in my backyard, and I'd like to avoid gas if I can because of risk factors, but I can move the operation outdoors if I need to.

      Thanks again for your time, and your input, this list has been a blast to read and learn from, and I hope to benefit from the wisdom herein for quite a while longer.

      Cheers!
      -=Damion

      "here, drink this...."

    • Blackhat-Whitedog
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2012
        A few things:
        1) I'm a total newb. I've never made wine, or beer, or anything like that, nor do I particularly want to. If it's an absolutely necessary step, then I suppose I'll have to, but I'd rather avoid it. (Not so much a qyestion as a statement of preference)

        some tried and true recipes are easier than beer or wine making, look up Uncle Jesse Simple Sour Mash aka UJSSM

        2) I'm starting from square one, and I have zero practical knowledge at this point, so please, please please please.... keep it simple. While I've been lurking and reading don't assume I retain what any of the lingo means. Thank you, a lot, in advance, for keeping it simple. (Most of you do, and I thank the gods for that.....) This by way of saying, "please don't be offended if I ask what (term X) means in small words and pictures" ... I'll try and keep that to a minimum.

        read homedistiller.org completely through...twice, and spend some time at the forum there.

        3) This (http://www.whiskeystill.net/collections/frontpage/products/3240-buy-a-whiskey-still-for-sale) is the initial still I'm looking at getting in the next couple months. Are these worth it? It looks (to my untrained eye) about as simple as they come, and that's the most important thing to me right now. (Trying to avoid jumping in the deep end with column stills and thumpers and such yet .... from what I've been reading, it seems that's a more complicated process... unless I missed something.)
        If that still/company isn't on the up-and-up, can anyone recommend a good, simple, pot still that is suitable for beginners? I would very much rather buy than make one, my DIY ethos extends to the booze, not the tools.

        its probably adequate price, I think some users complained about having to redo the fittings on this type of still (don't recall what brand), its limited as it a pot still only. there are several makers of simple columns that works as both a simple pot still and as a reflux column.

        4) Is there any qualitative difference between electrical heating for a run and gas heating? I may need to be doing this in a guest-house in my backyard, and I'd like to avoid gas if I can because of risk factors, but I can move the operation outdoors if I need to.

        guest house in the backyard sounds awesome. electical power is safer (gas has a flame here and the potential for a highly flamable vapor there) but keep in mind you should look into a controller that won't cycle on/off do some reading on this as there is some helpful info about why and how.

        if you go gas, many use a truck tire rim with the burner inside that to get more stability
      • calabresemichael
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2012
          well im a newbie as well and have only made beer one time about 10 years ago. i recently purchased a 2.5 gal copper still from whiskeystill.net still arrived couple weeks ago it looks great and so far no leaks only did a cleaning run with 50/50 water vinegar. im running my first ever bourbon tomorrow so ill post when im done to let you know how it turns out