hydrometer reading

  • maximus_308
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2012
      I was reading this the other day and I was a bit confused where it said (near the end)take a hydrometer reading and adjust as needed. My question is what should the hydrometer reading be and how would you adjust it?

      BLACK BEARDS RUM

      Two pounds of brown sugar per one gallon of water and one cup of honey for every ten gallon batch. Starting hydrometer reading of about 90. Do not exceed 100. Add 1 to 3 ozs of yeast per 10 gallons of mash.

      Heat one fourth of your water to 120 or 130 degrees only hot enough to melt the sugar, then stir in your sugar and then the honey last. Pour it into your fermenter and finish filling with cool water to cool it down to 80 degrees. Take a hydrometer reading and adjust as needed. The add your yeast. 6 to 14 days to ferment.
    • Cal Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
        Hello
        The wash that I make.
        I start with 1 pound of malting rye and 1 pound of malting barley, ground.
        I place it in my fermenter and pour in 2 ½ gallons of water at 180 degrees.
        I let set for ½ hour then add 14 pounds of sugar, then fill up with cool water. When the temp is about 80 I add the yeast. I use a whiskey yeast.
        I let it work for about 2 weeks then run through the still.
        I filter it and place it in milk jugs with charred white oak and a small amount of cherry wood.
        When finished it is like a Irish whiskey.
      • GGB
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
          The text clearly states a start hydrometer reading of 90 and no more than 100. I guess you would add either sugar, or water, to adjust. Seems fairly clear.

          Paul

          "My question is what should the hydrometer reading be and how would you adjust it?"
        • Jerry McCullough

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
              Hey, Cal, I was wondering . You say to top it up with cool water , how many gallons do you top it up to ?