Simple sugar wash..

  • TODP
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2012
      I made my first batch and am very happy with it!  Decided to try a second.. made up a simple sugar wash again and let cool to 90 deg. F then pitched my turbo yeast in.. it is not acting like the last batch at all. I think I pitched to soon with the temp to high.

       My question is;  Can re-pitch a second Turbo yeast packet into the same wash as it is now that it has cooled to the 75 deg F range and see how it goes or is this a big no no??.

      TODP
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2012
        TODP,

        Since turbo yeast is really a yeast much like champagne yeast, but with a boatload of nutrients added, and since your yeast may be deceased but the nutrients are still there, I'd just add some wine or champagne yeast. More nutrient may affect the flavor of your wash, and EC-1118 is to a stuck ferment what ether starting fluid is to a balky hard-to-start engine.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, TODP wrote: I made my first batch and am very happy with it! Decided to try a second.. made up a simple sugar wash again and let cool to 90 deg. F then pitched my turbo yeast in.. it is not acting like the last batch at all. I think I pitched to soon with the temp to high. My question is; Can re-pitch a second Turbo yeast packet into the same wash as it is now that it has cooled to the 75 deg F range and see how it goes or is this a big no no??. TODP
      • TODP
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2012
          THANKS!!  I went out on a limb and stirred like crazy and skimmed off what I could from the top. I decided to use bakers yeast as I had some on hand. I put two packets in after wetting for an hour in dish of luke warm water. It took off like a freight train! It is still ripping it up pretty well. It actually doesn't smell as strong as the first batch that went fine!  All in all I will let it run it's course and run it.. nothing else it makes for a fine starting fluid!! LOL!  I'm livin an learnin! Been on here for quite some time and have lots of info saved but could not find any immediate info on my problem. Thanks again for your help Bob!  TODP

          On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM, tgfoitwoods wrote:

[...]

        • RATAN CHAND
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2012
            Go ahead and add more yeast. In any case it is a sugar wash , to be convered to vodka. More nutriens will help fresh yeast.

          • TODP
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
              THANKS for all the advice!! It worked rather well.. in fact my best run yet!! Quantity and quality was excellent. I found low and slow to be best, watched my temps and this run doesn't even need filtering!!