RE: [new_distillers] Help with decision

  • TODP
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
      I got mine at Mile High!! Denver Colorado!! EXCELLENT WORK!! WORKS PERFECT!!  All Stainless Steel, 8 gal ELECTRIC with 2" reflux with copper and ceramic packings, two fermentation vessels, 5 turbos yeast kits, brewing kit, 5 clarifier packs, charcoal to filter with.. ALL THE SPENT.. to my door just under $700.00 WELL WORTH IT
      http://www.milehidistilling.com/electric-8-gallon-moonshine-with-starter-kit/

      On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Claude wrote:

         Greets.....I love reading the posts in this post....awesome.

      I have a question. I have Multiple Sclerosis....I wanted to build my own still and rig. This isn't possible given my condition.

      My kids want to buy me a rig for Christmas.

      If you had/were to buy a complete rig.

      What would you buy?
      And from where?

      Many thanks.

      Claude Napier

    • Bob Glicksman
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
        I do not own one of these, but I am impressed with the Amphora Society and their offerings.  For one thing, they sell Mike Nixon's book and, in my opinion, you can take anything and everything that Mike says "to the bank".  The "starter" rig is the PDA-1; it looks like a well engineered and well manufactured still column (appears to be a "Boka" design).  You might want the column extention if you want a full reflux column still.  They also sell the boiler, packing material, and all manner of fittings.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
          Claude,

          My first question would be, "What kinds of spirits do you want to make?". Although there are some in-between compromises you can make, generally speaking people who wish to make vodka use reflux stills to get as pure as possible ethanol-water azeotrope, a mixture of ~96% ethanol and 4% water. People who wish to make whiskey, brandy, and rum generally use potstills to get the flavor (read impurities) they want. If you don't want a pure reflux or a pure potstill, you'll need to define how you want to work that in-between distilling.

          Because they are a supplier of both kinds of stills, you owe yourself a look at Still Dragon's incredible modular equipment. Still Dragon is a company in China owned by a Texan who has become a friend of mine (full disclosure), with designs by Canadian and US engineers who are also distillers, and testing by the hobby-distilling community. This modularity is one way around buyin one kind of still setup and then changing your mind later; you can re-use the parts to build something different.

          Warning, the first equipment you'll see on the site is their high-end stuff, and probably pricey.

          To hear its users, Still Dragon quality seems to be incredible. The stuff certainly is beautiful.
          http://www.stilldragon.com/   and the American distributor is here: smaug@...

          If you'd like, I can pass all this posting from you and me to smaug. He's a fellow distiller on another forum.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Claude" <cnapier@...> wrote:

          > Greets.....I love reading the posts in this post....awesome.
          >
          > I have a question. I have Multiple Sclerosis....I wanted to build my own still and rig. This isn't possible given my condition.
          >
          > My kids want to buy me a rig for Christmas.
          >
          > If you had/were to buy a complete rig.
          >
          > What would you buy?
          > And from where?
          >
          > Many thanks.
          >
          > Claude Napier

        • John Sorge

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
              zymurgybob is one of those names that comes up now and then on forums, on a local still maker/promoter, taught a class or a dozen in my area, a recommendation is something to consider.  so I go to the still dragon site...

              nowI suppose its way past practical to prevent most tracking and data compiling, I mean we live in an era where Target can find out and send marketing material to pregnant women BEFORE the family finds out, and in a couple cases, before the woman herself figured it out.

              BUT, in a hobby situation that is currently more illegal than smoking grass, it makes NO sense for a site desiring to market equipment to participate in the hobby while refusing to show any info UNLESS you agree to allow the downloading of a half dozen scripts including google.

              as one who is seriously in the market for a decent device, Looking at the hillbilly flute, milehi, local rainier distillers, i am totally blocked out, all I can see is the opening splash image of the 3 stainless steel columns, but not a single thing else will load without accepting 4 scripts.

              could be worse, there was one site that had facebook and twitter scripts involved that I backed out without a 2nd thought.

            • cnapier@att.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
                Awesome info.....

                Looking to create some high quality whiskey....all I have is time.....:)

                Thanks,
                Claude

                My first question would be, "What kinds of spirits do you want to make?". Although there are some in-between compromises you can make, generally speaking people who wish to make vodka use reflux stills to get as pure as possible ethanol-water azeotrope, a mixture of ~96% ethanol and 4% water. People who wish to make whiskey, brandy, and rum generally use potstills to get the flavor (read impurities) they want. If you don't want a pure reflux or a pure potstill, you'll need to define how you want to work that in-between distilling.

                Because they are a supplier of both kinds of stills, you owe yourself a look at Still Dragon's incredible modular equipment. Still Dragon is a company in China owned by a Texan who has become a friend of mine (full disclosure), with designs by Canadian and US engineers who are also distillers, and testing by the hobby-distilling community. This modularity is one way around buyin one kind of still setup and then changing your mind later; you can re-use the parts to build something different.

                Warning, the first equipment you'll see on the site is their high-end stuff, and probably pricey.

                To hear its users, Still Dragon quality seems to be incredible. The stuff certainly is beautiful.
                http://www.stilldragon.com/   and the American distributor is here: smaug@...

                If you'd like, I can pass all this posting from you and me to smaug. He's a fellow distiller on another forum.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Claude" <cnapier@...> wrote:

                > Greets.....I love reading the posts in this post....awesome.
                >
                > I have a question. I have Multiple Sclerosis....I wanted to build my own still and rig. This isn't possible given my condition.
                >
                > My kids want to buy me a rig for Christmas.
                >
                > If you had/were to buy a complete rig.
                >
                > What would you buy?
                > And from where?
                >
                > Many thanks.
                >
                > Claude Napier

              • missouri_bootlegger
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2012
                  Buying a still is not against the law: selling liquor with out a license is. In Missouri distilling is legal for private use, the feds don't like it but as long as your not selling a bunch with out paying taxes my personal opinion is they won't bother you, but you can make ethanol to burn in your car legally so you can own and use a still. you can get the form to fill out to legally distill at the ATF web site......MB