Re: Beginner Questions

  • derick881
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 5, 2012
      Several of the designs I have seen use a 12" rise before breaking over for a pot still.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "air_lock84" <dboogie230@...> wrote:

      > How high should the vertical leg rise before the bend is made? And what diameter should i go up to for reducing velocity?
      >
      > I also picked up a compression coupling to replace the clear tube in case that is why i have a cloudy product or if it produces some unwanted flavors.

    • GGB
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 15, 2012
        Here's a suggestion from methanol recovery in biodiesel making. Not only insulate your riser but heat it. It could be that cold air is causing your ethanol vapor to condense in the rising tube and drop back down into the wash.

        John Braze and Z.Bob, both your approaches are identical and now that I have studied the chart you referenced Z.Bob, I understand the vapour temperatures vs. %ABV better, thank you. It's to do with partial pressures.

        Paul