Hello from a New Member

  • tehiru.chalal
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2012
      Hi there! I am Michael, and I am just getting started on this hobby. I am recently retired, and possess enough basic soldering and brazing skills that I am confident that I can get a nice copper still (reflux, probably single batch as compared to continuous). Probably like everyone else!

      So I guess I should start with a still. I have not looked through all the files, but I hope to find a nice design for a copper still. I am hoping for a 1.5" or 2" tower. Anyone know where I can get a design as a .pdf or a .jpg that has all dimensions shown and so forth so I can go buy copper and fittings and get to work?
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
        tehiru.chalal,

        If you are certain you want to build a reflux still, here are good instruction for one of the most common and respected reflux still, the Bokakob Dual Slat-plate Still.
        http://wiki.homedistiller.org/Boka_Reflux_Still_-_How_To_Build

        Just to double-check, you should know that reflux stills like this are primarily designed to produce the ethanol-water azeotrope, 96.6% ethanol, a kind of super vodka, which can be diluted with water to make flavorless vodka. If it is your goal to make full-flavored whiskeys, brandies, and rums it makes more sense (to me at least) to use the kind of still that the best of these liquors is traditionally made with, the potstill.

        If you should decide upon a potstill with a copper plumbing-fitting head, I describe building a couple in great detail in my book "Making Fine Spirits" (Amphora Society), available at Amazon.com or at
        http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/
        You can see a photo of the 5-gallon version and part of that same head on the 16-gallon keg version at
        http://www.kelleybarts.com/PhotoXfer/5GallonSmall.jpg
        and
        http://www.kelleybarts.com/PhotoXfer/16GallonCenter.jpg

        By the way, 'stilling is a great way to spend a retirement!

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tehiru.chalal" <tehiru.chalal@...> wrote:

        > Hi there! I am Michael, and I am just getting started on this hobby. I am recently retired, and possess enough basic soldering and brazing skills that I am confident that I can get a nice copper still (reflux, probably single batch as compared to continuous). Probably like everyone else!
        >
        > So I guess I should start with a still. I have not looked through all the files, but I hope to find a nice design for a copper still. I am hoping for a 1.5" or 2" tower. Anyone know where I can get a design as a .pdf or a .jpg that has all dimensions shown and so forth so I can go buy copper and fittings and get to work?

      • ballard_bootlegger
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
          +1 Bob

          You might also check out 'Making Pure Corn Whiskey' and 'The Compleat Distiller' also available at http://www.amphora-society.com/

          Have fun and Drink Well,
          W.
        • tehiru.chalal
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
            Thanks for the tip, tgfoitwoods. I will go with the bokabob dual slat-plate still. I found the article surprisingly comprehensive for a beginner like me! I hope to be able to find lots of good stuff in older forum posts as well.