Re: Question about end of fermenting

  • GGB
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2012
      Alex Netherton wrote: "Acetic acid bacteria ... /anaerobic/..."

      Did you mean to say that Acetobacter is an aerobic bacteria? Because it is. Vinegar is produced commercially by bubbling large amounts of air through wine.

      While your worked-out wash is sealed away from air, the acetic acid bacteria cannot get a hold. But in practise it is a good idea to rack off wine or beer because the dying yeast will impart flavours of its own.

      Paul
    • bob@4agoodauction.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2012
        >While your worked-out wash is sealed away from air, the acetic acid
        bacteria cannot get a hold. But in practise it is a good idea to rack off
        wine or beer because the dying yeast will impart flavours of its own.

        Paul

        I have kept a fermented product up to a year in sealed container with no
        problems. I just did not get the time to do anything with it. I have also
        lost an uncovered mash in about three days to the vinegar and other bacteria
        turning it to stinky and terrible and basically offensive in every way.
        There is a lot of different invaders just floating around in the air looking
        for good mash.

        Bob c

        .