Re: How Do I Filter?

  • rhinodust
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
      Was wondering if the activated carbon I use in my fish tank filter will work. It's cheap and very available from any pet store. I usually run water through it first to clear out the dust particles??

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Riddiford <chris2pher13@...> wrote:

      > You should be able to buy carbon filters from any local brewing supplier.
      > Mine are as simple as a funnle with a carbon block in it simply poor it in
      > and let it go.
      > On Nov 15, 2012 4:11 AM, "andyrud3" <andyrud@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I read lots of past posts about filtering with "activated carbon" but
      > > couldn't find any info about it. What is it, where do I get it and how do I
      > > use it? Is there a simple filter like a water filter I can buy for
      > > filtering?
      > >
      > > thanks in advance,
      > >
      > > Andy

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
        Yes! It's the same thing. It's what I use and it works just fine. Just rinse the dust off before using it.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhinodust" <leeeep1@...> wrote:

        > Was wondering if the activated carbon I use in my fish tank filter will work. It's cheap and very available from any pet store. I usually run water through it first to clear out the dust particles??
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Riddiford <chris2pher13@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You should be able to buy carbon filters from any local brewing supplier.
        > > Mine are as simple as a funnle with a carbon block in it simply poor it in
        > > and let it go.
        > > On Nov 15, 2012 4:11 AM, "andyrud3" <andyrud@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > I read lots of past posts about filtering with "activated carbon" but
        > > > couldn't find any info about it. What is it, where do I get it and how do I
        > > > use it? Is there a simple filter like a water filter I can buy for
        > > > filtering?
        > > >
        > > > thanks in advance,
        > > >
        > > > Andy

      • M L
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
          NO, Go to the Home Distillation of Alcohol site, they say that aquarium carbon may contain crap that can leach into you're spirit.Good activated carbon is available from many HBS, on line or locally if there is one in you're area.