Re: Feeling lucky to be alive...

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2012
      Well, you'll never get wood alcohol (methanol) from a sugar wash, and once you've run it through the still bacteria is a thing of the past, but you'll get better tasting stuff (as well as more reliable fermentations) with a little less sugar and some good yeast nutrients. You'll find the yeast nutrients (with instructions) at your local homebrew supply.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skub13" <chris2pher13@...> wrote:

      > Hi all, i took up distilling about a year back and stupidly enough didn't research it at all, just went "hey chuck this all together and see what i get."
      > Using nothing but un-distilled water, white el-cheapo brand sugar, instant dry yeast and unclean equipment i somehow came out with a 17% product which i then drank. after then researching it a bit i feel luck that i didn't kill my self with wood alcohol or bacteria and i have now decided to take it up again and advice would be appreciated.
      >
      > Please and thanks.

    • Chris Riddiford
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2012
        Well good to know that I can see I still have a lot to learn and still as
        egar as ever to get a nice sold batch, one more question with distill I'm
        highly confussed.
        How long should I let a 20L batch distill for and how much should I have at
        the end?