Feeling lucky to be alive...

  • skub13
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2012
      Hi all, i took up distilling about a year back and stupidly enough didn't research it at all, just went "hey chuck this all together and see what i get."
      Using nothing but un-distilled water, white el-cheapo brand sugar, instant dry yeast and unclean equipment i somehow came out with a 17% product which i then drank. after then researching it a bit i feel luck that i didn't kill my self with wood alcohol or bacteria and i have now decided to take it up again and advice would be appreciated.

      Please and thanks.
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2012
        Well, you'll never get wood alcohol (methanol) from a sugar wash, and once you've run it through the still bacteria is a thing of the past, but you'll get better tasting stuff (as well as more reliable fermentations) with a little less sugar and some good yeast nutrients. You'll find the yeast nutrients (with instructions) at your local homebrew supply.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skub13" <chris2pher13@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, i took up distilling about a year back and stupidly enough didn't research it at all, just went "hey chuck this all together and see what i get."
        > Using nothing but un-distilled water, white el-cheapo brand sugar, instant dry yeast and unclean equipment i somehow came out with a 17% product which i then drank. after then researching it a bit i feel luck that i didn't kill my self with wood alcohol or bacteria and i have now decided to take it up again and advice would be appreciated.
        >
        > Please and thanks.

      • Chris Riddiford
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2012
          Well good to know that I can see I still have a lot to learn and still as
          egar as ever to get a nice sold batch, one more question with distill I'm
          highly confussed.
          How long should I let a 20L batch distill for and how much should I have at
          the end?