How Do I Filter?

  • andyrud3
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
      I read lots of past posts about filtering with "activated carbon" but couldn't find any info about it. What is it, where do I get it and how do I use it? Is there a simple filter like a water filter I can buy for filtering?

      thanks in advance,

      Andy
    • White Bear
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
        Andy-
          I use oak sticks to "polish" my product.  Don't use Red Oak as I find this leaves a bitter taste which I don't find palatable.
          Cut the sticks into strips 1/2" x 1/2' x ? length.  (whatever fits into your "polishing container").  I use a gallon glass wide mouth canning jar.  Char the pieces until they look like an alligator, this is known as alligator char.  Toss them into a bucket of clean water to stop the charring and pull them out to dry.  When cool, I put 7 sticks in my jar and fill it with my cut.  This is left for three weeks, shaking the jar twice daily.  I like this polishing as it really smooths the final product.  The longer you age the strained product the mellower it gets.
        White Bear

        I read lots of past posts about filtering with "activated carbon" but couldn't find any info about it. What is it, where do I get it and how do I use it? Is there a simple filter like a water filter I can buy for filtering?

        thanks in advance,

        Andy

      • M L
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
          You can use a Britta water filter or there are ready made ones for distillers. One is a "snake" filter and one is called a "Z" filter or you can make  you're own out of a length of PVC.A lot of home grew suppliers carry activated carbon. Also there's a lot of good info on how to use carbon at the " Home Distillation of Alcohol" site. Here's one of many shops and the HD link.http://homedistiller.org/  here's the link to a good "distiller friendly" shop  http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/default.asp . And I take it you haven't been to the "Artisan Distillers" site yet , much to learn there, A REALLY GREAT place to study ,http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/index.php. Enjoy

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

            Thanks guys for the great info,

            Andy

            > You can use a Britta water filter or there are ready made ones for distillers. One is a "snake" filter and one is called a "Z" filter or you can make  you're own out of a length of PVC.A lot of home grew suppliers carry activated carbon. Also there's a lot of good info on how to use carbon at the " Home Distillation of Alcohol" site. Here's one of many shops and the HD link.http://homedistiller.org/%c3%82%c2%a0 here's the link to a good "distiller friendly" shop  http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/default.asp . And I take it you haven't been to the "Artisan Distillers" site yet , much to learn there, A REALLY GREAT place to study ,http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/index.php. Enjoy

          • Bill Rogers
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2012
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVHip4b0eI

              I haven't tried this yet but it looks slick

              On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM, andyrud3 <andyrud@...> wrote:

              I read lots of past posts about filtering with "activated carbon" but couldn't find any info about it. What is it, where do I get it and how do I use it? Is there a simple filter like a water filter I can buy for filtering?

              thanks in advance,

              Andy

            • Chris Riddiford
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012

                You should be able to buy carbon filters from any local brewing supplier. Mine are as simple as a funnle with a carbon block in it simply poor it in and let it go.

                On Nov 15, 2012 4:11 AM, "andyrud3" <andyrud@...> wrote:

                I read lots of past posts about filtering with "activated carbon" but couldn't find any info about it. What is it, where do I get it and how do I use it? Is there a simple filter like a water filter I can buy for filtering?

                thanks in advance,

                Andy

              • rhinodust
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
                  Was wondering if the activated carbon I use in my fish tank filter will work. It's cheap and very available from any pet store. I usually run water through it first to clear out the dust particles??

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Riddiford <chris2pher13@...> wrote:

                  > You should be able to buy carbon filters from any local brewing supplier.
                  > Mine are as simple as a funnle with a carbon block in it simply poor it in
                  > and let it go.
                  > On Nov 15, 2012 4:11 AM, "andyrud3" <andyrud@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > I read lots of past posts about filtering with "activated carbon" but
                  > > couldn't find any info about it. What is it, where do I get it and how do I
                  > > use it? Is there a simple filter like a water filter I can buy for
                  > > filtering?
                  > >
                  > > thanks in advance,
                  > >
                  > > Andy

                • Kevin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
                    Yes! It's the same thing. It's what I use and it works just fine. Just rinse the dust off before using it.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhinodust" <leeeep1@...> wrote:

                    > Was wondering if the activated carbon I use in my fish tank filter will work. It's cheap and very available from any pet store. I usually run water through it first to clear out the dust particles??
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Riddiford <chris2pher13@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > You should be able to buy carbon filters from any local brewing supplier.
                    > > Mine are as simple as a funnle with a carbon block in it simply poor it in
                    > > and let it go.
                    > > On Nov 15, 2012 4:11 AM, "andyrud3" <andyrud@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > **
                    > > >

                    > > > I read lots of past posts about filtering with "activated carbon" but
                    > > > couldn't find any info about it. What is it, where do I get it and how do I
                    > > > use it? Is there a simple filter like a water filter I can buy for
                    > > > filtering?
                    > > >
                    > > > thanks in advance,
                    > > >
                    > > > Andy

                  • M L
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
                      NO, Go to the Home Distillation of Alcohol site, they say that aquarium carbon may contain crap that can leach into you're spirit.Good activated carbon is available from many HBS, on line or locally if there is one in you're area.