Re: What to do with the tails?

  • MoSS
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2012
      Save them.

      Next run add your tails until you have enough to run through your still.
      Cut back to 40% &Run the result through a Carbon Filter,hey presto you've made some neutral spirit that you can flavour with essences of your choice.

    • raineromorgia@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2012
        Dont be greedy..share it with the spirits..throw it away

        Noobe here. I made a pot still, made some Chardeney wine from some grapes, and distilled the wine. I threw away the for shots, kept the heads, the middle, and the tails separated. I am going to make a raspberry brandy. I read that I can mix the heads and tails together but what can I do with the tails? What do you guys do with it.

        Thanks in advance,

        Andy
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 14, 2012
          I'm with MoSS,

          I use heads and tails to make "junkahol", neutral from what's normally thrown away. I use it to make all kinds of macerated liquors. In addition to what MoSS says, toss a couple of tablespoons of sodium bicarbonate into your low wines before your second run. This will clean up some esters that give unwanted flavors in your neutral, but never NEVER add bicarb to your first, or stripping, run. It will strip all that grape or raspberry flavor from your spirit, and you'll run the chance of getting blue distillate, Schweizer's reagent, in your distillate.