Re: [new_distillers] Re: Gasket Material

  • Peter Davis
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 10, 2012
      What about the material they use to make Fip flops or thongs or whatever they call them in your country
      It can be obtained from camping place in slid mats about 3` square??
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012
        thanks

        What about the material they use to make Fip flops or thongs or whatever they call them in your country
        It can be obtained from camping place in slid mats about 3` square??
        > I use a still that I fabricated from a 15 gallon beer keg. When I install the still head, I use a cork gasket made from material that I bought at an automotive parts store. The cork is thicker than most cork and is not cheap.
        >
        > I have discoverd that after a run if the cork gasket drys out, it will shrink and become un-usable. So to prevent that, I store the gasket in water. I have tried tap water, distilled water and water with Clean-Pro(distillers disinfectant). Eventually the gasket gets slimey. Does not smell, but it is kinda of icky.
        >
        > I am not sure if the slime is a problem, just seems unhealthy to me. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions on a different gasket material or another way to store the gasket that avoids the slime?
        >
        > Neophrene and similar gasket material that I can find locally is too thin to get a good seal.
        >
        > Thanks

        Just ran accross your post- Try McMaster Carr online. Search for gasket material. They have everything from cork to tephlon. I used high temp silicon. They also have just about everything you can imagine for our hobby.- Cheers!

      • jsducote
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012
          Are you sure that this material is food safe, tolerant of high-temperatures, and won't degrade or add off-flavors in the presence of alcohol? Making a seal is only ONE of the requirements and not necessarily the most important one.
          -j

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Davis" <davis668@...> wrote:

          > What about the material they use to make Fip flops or thongs or whatever they call them in your country
          > It can be obtained from camping place in slid mats about 3` square??

        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012

            A quick and easy casket I have use is corrugated cardboard for a one off use…used to have  rubber one but after years of use died

            cheers  Ken Mc

          • tonyjones60@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
              For goodness sakes man; do not use flip-flops! Perhaps these folks can help:

              http://www.stilldragon.com/gaskets--seals.html