Re: [new_distillers] Securing milk can lid

  • Alli Bugger
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
      ZB,
      It sounds like congatulations are in order, so Congrats.  I suely hope that your new life paths do not leave us completely out of your world.  You ahve been a true resource and one to admire.
      Alli

      From: James Gates <panache_fine_art@...>
      Subject: [new_distillers] Securing milk can lid
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 10:49 PM

      I have a 40 litre stainless milk can from ebay. I also am a retired steel fabricator. What I need to solve is a way to secure the milk can lid to the top of the milk can? I assume that the pressure should not be too great while distilling, but if it is just friction, it likely will rattle like a top pot lid.
      The other issue is heating the mash and wonder if anyone uses some kind of hot water tank elements inside the milk can to heat the mash. Also a way to monitor temp and adjust temp?
      Thinking that to use it as a pot still, but of course I could switch columns and use it as a reflex still too.
      I have a basic plan that got from a distellng forum website, but need to figure out how to secure the lid. I could tig weld on some clamps if I knew where to buy them?

    • Butch Derickson
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
        On one of your other questions.  There are water heater adapters available that you would weld a standard ferrule to the side of your boiler and clamp the heater adapter plate with a tri clamp. http://www.hillbillystills.com/distillery_equipment_parts_s/43.htm

        You can plug the heater into 110 or 220v.  Of course you get more heating rate with 220v.  There are controllers available to control the heat rate.
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
          Alli,

          Thanks for your kind words and congratulations, but I'm not leaving anything, and we both appear to be caught up in some kind confusion.

          I was responding to what appears to be a message from Jameson Beam, an old friend of me and the forum, who sometimes goes by the nickname Waldo. We've not seen a post from him for a couple of years anyway, and I was just very happy to see what seemed to be an answer from him for the milk-can lid question.

          Since I do not find Waldo's message in the new_distillers messages, but saw in my gmail account where I normally read the Yahoo lists, I'm not sure what happened. If it's really Waldo, I'm happy, but I'm a bit bewildered.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Alli Bugger <allibugger@...> wrote:

          > ZB,
          > It sounds like congatulations are in order, so Congrats.  I suely hope that your new life paths do not leave us completely out of your world.  You ahve been a true resource and one to admire.
          > Alli

        • James Gates
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2012
            It has a handle as part of the lid, I am going to contact Hillbilli Stills for advice about their products. Seems to me that I can just use a hole saw to make the hole for the fitting. The lid has two ss clamps that hold the lid on, do I still (pun intended) need a gasket for the lid? Thaks