Re: Aging whisky

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2012
      Peter,

      While I've never done it,  I'd be amazed if any of the oak flavors would come across. Oak flavors are primarily tannins and lignins, and those compounds are not volatile. I'm not sure if the vanillins that are oxidation products of the tannins and lignins are volatile, but they won't exist yet when you put the chips in the wash.

      Of course, I'm just guessing here.