Re: [new_distillers] Re: Aging whisky

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2012
      At 11:40 AM 10/30/2012, you wrote:

      >In 1988, I had the privilege of having lunch with Robert Mondavi at
      >his winery in Napa Valley. He explained that they had tried to go to
      >stainless steel but quickly discovered that they could not beat the
      >maturation of oak barrels and for their quality wines, and were
      >moving back to the traditional methods (of France)...I had with me a
      >French friend whose family has owned Le Montrachet for 300 years and
      >Mr. Mondavi was honored to have my friend and told him that they
      >taste the Mondavi wines against le Montrachet in their attempt to
      >match its quality. Unfortunately, both Mr Mondavi and my French
      >friend are now decease but their wines live on.
      >[looks like we've gone a little off track from whiskey ;-))

      Whiskey or wine, there are so many similarities. If those craft
      brewers keep up with the good work they are doing then that too will
      be an art form.

      Derek
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2012
        Peter,

        While I've never done it,  I'd be amazed if any of the oak flavors would come across. Oak flavors are primarily tannins and lignins, and those compounds are not volatile. I'm not sure if the vanillins that are oxidation products of the tannins and lignins are volatile, but they won't exist yet when you put the chips in the wash.

        Of course, I'm just guessing here.