Sil-phos brazing question

  • Christopher
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2012
      Hello everyone,

      I recently built a copper pot still and silver brazed everything with Weldcote "5" Sil-Phos.
      After reading some posts Im not sure if this is a safe material to use.
      Can anyone tell me if it would be safe.

      I have posted the specs below.

      Thank you,
      Chris

      http://www.weldcotemetals.com/dataFiles/specs/techPhosCopp5.pdf

      Weldcote "5"
      CHEMICAL COMPOSITION, Weight Percent:

      Silver 4.8-5.2
      Copper Balance
      Phosphorus 5.8-6.2
      Total Others Element s 0.15

      PHYSICAL DATA:
      Solidus 1190°F (643°C)
      Liquidus 1495°F (813°C)
      Brazing Range 1325-1500°F (718-816°C)
      Color Br ight Light Copper
      Specific Gravity 8.13
      Density ( lb/cu in. ) 0.293
      Electr ical Conductivi ty (%of IACS) 9.6
      Electr ical Resis t ivi ty (Microhm-cm) 18.11
      AVAILABLE SIZES:
      20" Rods of 1 /16, 3 /32, 1 /8 and .050 X 1/8
      SPECIFICATIONS:
      AWS A5.8/A5.8M BCuP-3
      ASME SFA5.8 BCuP-3
      FED QQ-B-650C BCuP-3
    • GGB
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
        "Christopher" wrote: I recently built a copper pot still and silver brazed everything with Weldcote "5" Sil-Phos.

        I understand that it's cadmium you have to worry about. There doesn't seem to be any cadmium in this particular rod so you could be alright. I've been pointed towards rods containing up to 50% silver which you need a bank loan to buy.

        Sil-fos, Easy-flo and Braze are brands put out by the same company, http://www.silfos.com/

        Paul
      • spdjnky
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
          Everything looks safe

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vinescapesinc@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I recently built a copper pot still and silver brazed everything with Weldcote "5" Sil-Phos.
          > After reading some posts Im not sure if this is a safe material to use.
          > Can anyone tell me if it would be safe.
          >
          > I have posted the specs below.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Chris
          >
          > http://www.weldcotemetals.com/dataFiles/specs/techPhosCopp5.pdf
          >
          > Weldcote "5"
          > CHEMICAL COMPOSITION, Weight Percent:
          >
          > Silver 4.8-5.2
          > Copper Balance
          > Phosphorus 5.8-6.2
          > Total Others Element s 0.15
          >
          > PHYSICAL DATA:
          > Solidus 1190°F (643°C)
          > Liquidus 1495°F (813°C)
          > Brazing Range 1325-1500°F (718-816°C)
          > Color Br ight Light Copper
          > Specific Gravity 8.13
          > Density ( lb/cu in. ) 0.293
          > Electr ical Conductivi ty (%of IACS) 9.6
          > Electr ical Resis t ivi ty (Microhm-cm) 18.11
          > AVAILABLE SIZES:
          > 20" Rods of 1 /16, 3 /32, 1 /8 and .050 X 1/8
          > SPECIFICATIONS:
          > AWS A5.8/A5.8M BCuP-3
          > ASME SFA5.8 BCuP-3
          > FED QQ-B-650C BCuP-3

        • shane clayton
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012

            I have always gone with cadmium free silver solder, also I wouldn’t make a statement like “looks safe” without going to a supplier and asking the questions yourself (no offence meant) but if it cant be used for anything in food or drink for human consumption then id steer clear of it myself. The > Total Others Element s 0.15 concerns me what is others?

            This you need to ask the manufacturer or supplier.

            Just my 2 bobs worth

            Cheers

          • nykris
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shane clayton" <shaddow@...> wrote:

              > I have always gone with cadmium free silver solder, also I wouldn't make a
              > statement like "looks safe" without going to a supplier and asking the
              > questions yourself (no offence meant) but if it cant be used for anything in
              > food or drink for human consumption then id steer clear of it myself. The >
              > Total Others Element s 0.15 concerns me what is others?
              >
              > This you need to ask the manufacturer or supplier.
              >
              > Just my 2 bobs worth
              >
              > Cheers

              I called the manufacturer to get an answer, man was I worried. I really should have checked before building. They told me it would be safe for this purpose. I may call them again to find out what the 0.15 other elements are. They assured me it would be totally safe.
              Thanks for all replies.
              Chris
            • nykris
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012