Re: new - help!

  • kekedog13
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "m" <lighthouse883_2000@...> wrote:

      > My mash is ready, but my pot lid is not. what do I use to seal the copper tubing to the lid? what about the temp gage? The mash is ready to go, and I would like to distill this weekend. I have: 20 ft of copper tubing, 5 gal pot with metal lid, mason jars out the whazoo, and lots of ice for the bucket for condensing. Help?

      Hard ware store has these black rubber grommets. Make the hole the right size and they will seal. If not a little dab of silicone will do the trick.Make another hole and put in a drilled rubber stopper for a probe thermometer.
    • Butch Derickson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
        The old fashioned way is to use cotton strips saturated with flour paste. Worked well for the old time moonshiners

        Sent from my iPad
      • Blackhat-Whitedog
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
          what a lot of french cooks do to seal a dutch oven (really makes a juicy chicken or if you have a big enough one, a whole turkey) is to take bread dough (which Im thinking would work as well as flour paste)

          so a philsbury tube of french bread would be stretchy and elastic you wrap around a big pot (like I see a lot of folks use with those binder clamps all around to hold it down)
        • White Bear
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
            My uncle would use rye paste to "plug" his pot still cap.  and as I remember, it was only rye flour and water.  I would rather bake the french bread dough instead and eat the bread as I watch my still. :)
            WB

            smslc.org