Securing milk can lid

  • James Gates
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2012
      I have a 40 litre stainless milk can from ebay. I also am a retired steel fabricator. What I need to solve is a way to secure the milk can lid to the top of the milk can? I assume that the pressure should not be too great while distilling, but if it is just friction, it likely will rattle like a top pot lid.
      The other issue is heating the mash and wonder if anyone uses some kind of hot water tank elements inside the milk can to heat the mash. Also a way to monitor temp and adjust temp?
      Thinking that to use it as a pot still, but of course I could switch columns and use it as a reflex still too.
      I have a basic plan that got from a distellng forum website, but need to figure out how to secure the lid. I could tig weld on some clamps if I knew where to buy them?
    • Blackhat-Whitedog
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 27, 2012
        http://glaciertanks.com/

        > from ebay. I also am a retired steel fabricator. What I need
        > to solve is a way to secure the milk can lid to the top of
        > the milk can? I assume that the pressure should not be too
        > great while distilling, but if it is just friction, it
        > likely will rattle like a top pot lid.
        > The other issue is heating the mash and wonder if anyone
        > uses some kind of hot water tank elements inside the milk
        > can to heat the mash. Also a way to monitor temp and adjust
        > temp?
        > Thinking that to use it as a pot still, but of course I
        > could switch columns and use it as a reflex still too.
        > I have a basic plan that got from a distellng forum website,
        > but need to figure out how to secure the lid. I could tig
        > weld on some clamps if I knew where to buy them?

        >     new_distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • johnjab01
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 29, 2012
          Hi James,

          I had the same problem trying to secure the lid. What I did, my still has a nice flange where the tapered top meets the tank, I was able to drill 2 small holes in the flange 1 on each side. Then I used a piece of swing chain(from kids swing set) with a bungee cord hook on one side & a spring(from rear brake drum of car) on the other & just went over the lid with the chain & the spring keeps tension to hold the lid on.

          Did that paint a picture? If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly, I would be glad to help, if I can.

          JJ

        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012
            Waldo!! Good to hear from you, and especially in your new position. I hope we can keep you around for a while.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: jamesonbeam1@...
            Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 05:21:54 -0700
            Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Securing milk can lid

            Simplest way - if it has handles - make a silicone or cork gasket for the cover then attack it with a couplr of bungey cords - put on heat and test leakage with water in can and spray bottle with soap and water -look for bobbles.

            JB

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
              ZB,
              It sounds like congatulations are in order, so Congrats.  I suely hope that your new life paths do not leave us completely out of your world.  You ahve been a true resource and one to admire.
              Alli

              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com From: jamesonbeam1@... Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 05:21:54 -0700 Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Securing milk can lid

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
                On one of your other questions.  There are water heater adapters available that you would weld a standard ferrule to the side of your boiler and clamp the heater adapter plate with a tri clamp. http://www.hillbillystills.com/distillery_equipment_parts_s/43.htm

                You can plug the heater into 110 or 220v.  Of course you get more heating rate with 220v.  There are controllers available to control the heat rate.
              • tgfoitwoods
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
                  Alli,

                  Thanks for your kind words and congratulations, but I'm not leaving anything, and we both appear to be caught up in some kind confusion.

                  I was responding to what appears to be a message from Jameson Beam, an old friend of me and the forum, who sometimes goes by the nickname Waldo. We've not seen a post from him for a couple of years anyway, and I was just very happy to see what seemed to be an answer from him for the milk-can lid question.

                  Since I do not find Waldo's message in the new_distillers messages, but saw in my gmail account where I normally read the Yahoo lists, I'm not sure what happened. If it's really Waldo, I'm happy, but I'm a bit bewildered.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 8, 2012
                    It has a handle as part of the lid, I am going to contact Hillbilli Stills for advice about their products. Seems to me that I can just use a hole saw to make the hole for the fitting. The lid has two ss clamps that hold the lid on, do I still (pun intended) need a gasket for the lid? Thaks