Re: Gasket Material

  • GGB
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 23, 2012
      Hi. Could you freeze the cork? Also - dairy, wine and food industry plants often have food-grade rubber to use to make custom gaskets and this rubber is often quite thick. Might be worth looking into.

      Paul
    • wilypig@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 23, 2012
        Get some silicone sheet gasket material (grainger, Mcmaster carr) and cut it to fit. It will last 50 or more runs and only needs to be wiped down each run.

        On , JerryM <jkmccull@...> wrote:

        > I use a still that I fabricated from a 15 gallon beer keg. When I install the still head, I use a cork gasket made from material that I bought at an automotive parts store. The cork is thicker than most cork and is not cheap.
        >

        > I have discoverd that after a run if the cork gasket drys out, it will shrink and become un-usable. So to prevent that, I store the gasket in water. I have tried tap water, distilled water and water with Clean-Pro(distillers disinfectant). Eventually the gasket gets slimey. Does not smell, but it is kinda of icky.
        >

        > I am not sure if the slime is a problem, just seems unhealthy to me. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions on a different gasket material or another way to store the gasket that avoids the slime?
        >

        > Neophrene and similar gasket material that I can find locally is too thin to get a good seal.
        >

        > Thanks

      • Nathan Koch

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 24, 2012
            JerryM,

            I made a gasket for my boiler from a silicone strip held in place with silicone adhesive/sealant. I purchased both from McMaster Carr.

            The silicone sealant, #732 Clear, comes in a tube, Catalog # 7587A37 and the silicone strip, 1/8" thick, x 1/2" wide x 36" long, Catalog # 8417K12 are both FDA Compliant, food safe.

            I have had good luck with this combination.

            Tom

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JerryM" <jkmccull@...> wrote:

            > I use a still that I fabricated from a 15 gallon beer keg. When I install the still head, I use a cork gasket made from material that I bought at an automotive parts store. The cork is thicker than most cork and is not cheap.
            >
            > I have discoverd that after a run if the cork gasket drys out, it will shrink and become un-usable. So to prevent that, I store the gasket in water. I have tried tap water, distilled water and water with Clean-Pro(distillers disinfectant). Eventually the gasket gets slimey. Does not smell, but it is kinda of icky.
            >
            > I am not sure if the slime is a problem, just seems unhealthy to me. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions on a different gasket material or another way to store the gasket that avoids the slime?
            >
            > Neophrene and similar gasket material that I can find locally is too thin to get a good seal.
            >
            > Thanks

          • Jerry McCullough
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 24, 2012
              I ordered some FDA complaint 1/8" gasket material today from Mcmaster Carr.
              Thanks to all.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 10, 2012
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JerryM" <jkmccull@...> wrote:

                > I use a still that I fabricated from a 15 gallon beer keg. When I install the still head, I use a cork gasket made from material that I bought at an automotive parts store. The cork is thicker than most cork and is not cheap.
                >
                > I have discoverd that after a run if the cork gasket drys out, it will shrink and become un-usable. So to prevent that, I store the gasket in water. I have tried tap water, distilled water and water with Clean-Pro(distillers disinfectant). Eventually the gasket gets slimey. Does not smell, but it is kinda of icky.
                >
                > I am not sure if the slime is a problem, just seems unhealthy to me. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions on a different gasket material or another way to store the gasket that avoids the slime?
                >
                > Neophrene and similar gasket material that I can find locally is too thin to get a good seal.
                >
                > Thanks

                Just ran accross your post- Try McMaster Carr online. Search for gasket material. They have everything from cork to tephlon. I used high temp silicon. They also have just about everything you can imagine for our hobby.- Cheers!
              • Peter Davis
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2012
                  What about the material they use to make Fip flops or thongs or whatever they call them in your country
                  It can be obtained from camping place in slid mats about 3` square??

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012
                    thanks

                    What about the material they use to make Fip flops or thongs or whatever they call them in your country
                    It can be obtained from camping place in slid mats about 3` square??
                    > I use a still that I fabricated from a 15 gallon beer keg. When I install the still head, I use a cork gasket made from material that I bought at an automotive parts store. The cork is thicker than most cork and is not cheap.
                    >
                    > I have discoverd that after a run if the cork gasket drys out, it will shrink and become un-usable. So to prevent that, I store the gasket in water. I have tried tap water, distilled water and water with Clean-Pro(distillers disinfectant). Eventually the gasket gets slimey. Does not smell, but it is kinda of icky.
                    >
                    > I am not sure if the slime is a problem, just seems unhealthy to me. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions on a different gasket material or another way to store the gasket that avoids the slime?
                    >
                    > Neophrene and similar gasket material that I can find locally is too thin to get a good seal.
                    >
                    > Thanks

                    Just ran accross your post- Try McMaster Carr online. Search for gasket material. They have everything from cork to tephlon. I used high temp silicon. They also have just about everything you can imagine for our hobby.- Cheers!

                  • jsducote
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012
                      Are you sure that this material is food safe, tolerant of high-temperatures, and won't degrade or add off-flavors in the presence of alcohol? Making a seal is only ONE of the requirements and not necessarily the most important one.
                      -j

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Davis" <davis668@...> wrote:

                      > What about the material they use to make Fip flops or thongs or whatever they call them in your country
                      > It can be obtained from camping place in slid mats about 3` square??

                    • KM Services
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012

                        A quick and easy casket I have use is corrugated cardboard for a one off use…used to have  rubber one but after years of use died

                        cheers  Ken Mc

                      • tonyjones60@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
                          For goodness sakes man; do not use flip-flops! Perhaps these folks can help:

                          http://www.stilldragon.com/gaskets--seals.html