Re: Turbo 500 Still

  • Kevin Regira
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 17, 2012
      I have had my T-500 for almost a year now. I find it very simple to use, and have made many successful distillations. It works extremely well as long as you use it according to the instructions provided. In other words, don't try to use it as a pot still, as some have tried to do. My favorite mash is Birdwatchers. It's listed on the tried and true recipe section.

      Good luck

      Sent from my iPad
    • Blackhat-Whitedog
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 17, 2012
        I'm sure you google it, you'd see a lot of concerns. A few notes from the folks at homedistiller.org forums, it has plastic parts (a big no no) and their instructions to just ignore every single bit of knowledge about separations runs counter to hundreds of years of experience. there is no copper in the vapor stream, and since they also push turbo yeasts, they probably want to sell you a lot of carbon to get rid of the nasty flavors.

        my take? when New Zealand legalised home distilling, a chinese company rushed in with this. Now they have a warehouse full and keep advertising it.

        I went to a local homebrew supplier. first thing out the guy's mouth, turbo yeast and that t500. I left, figured I couldn't trust him or whatever else he was selling.

        do you really think you can make a 5 gal bucket of sugar water and end up getting a gallon of anything drinkable without making cuts?

        this sounds just like something you'd see during a late night movie sold by the sham wow guy.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2012
          There is a lot of information on www.stillsmart.co.uk and a fair few users on the forums, worth a look.

        • tonyjones60@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 2012
            I don't know about the output that you would like. What I do know is that I was also intrigued by the Turbo 500. I decided to go with an 8 gallon milk can from Mile Hi Distillers. I designed and built a 2" vapor management still from copper pipe and a stainless valve. Within 9 months, I wanted something bigger. Last month, I built a pot still with an 8 gallon thumper, 50 gallon boiler and condenser worm that is 3/4" copper tubing, approximately 25 feet. Again, I have never had a Turbo 500 but my guess is that you would outgrow it within a relatively short period of time.

            Regards,

            BW

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 19, 2012
              I use the Turbo 500, I can honestly say its the most efficient still I have come across on the market.

              I rarely respond to messages on this forum, I'm more of an observer but I thought it would be important for me to let you know that making this purchase will be a great move in your hobby.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" <allibugger@...> wrote:

              > I am in the market for new and more efficient equipment and really like the 8 gallon, 2", duel purpose tower from Mile High. However I am intrigued by the Turbo 500 Still - it has lots of interesting features. I would like to know if anyone has one of these and what they think of it. Thanks. Alli

            • Alli Bugger
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012

                All,
                Thanks everyone for their input - it is very much appreciated.  Blackhat-Whitedog makes a lot of sense as the T500 seems almost to go to be true.  I called a distributor and asked if the heating element was replaceble and he said no.  That could be a problem if the element shorted out and the only fix is to buy a new still.  On the other hand there are folks who are using them and and love it.  In the year or so I have been distilling, I have tried to stay away from carbon filtering and the T500 runs counter to that philosophy - there is something about turning your mash black and then having to clean it up.  I am going to do a little more reaserch on wedsites recommended by responders to my quest and make a decision.  Thanks again all
                Alli