Re: Pot still cap

  • johnjab01@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 15, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 22 KB
    I attached a picture of it. Hopfullly it is visible, I never tried to post a picture here before.

    JJ
  • johnjab01
    Message 2 of 8 , Oct 18, 2012
      OK...I'm in the process of making my own cap. One question I have, should I have the cap discharge out the top, or out the side? I found a 6" dia copper bucket that I'm going to modify to fit, so the top of the cap will be the flat bottom of the bucket.

      I have seen stills discharge out the top & out the side. Which do you think is best, or does it really matter?

      Thanks....JJ

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, virgil hoskins <varminteater2003@...> wrote:

      > Good morning JJ
      > Well it looks like a high dollar fix to plug a hole that size,, would you be willing to cut the threaded area
      > out/ off and replate it with a 2in, threaded hole ?,, is the area rounded or flat?
      > if its flat you can have the hole tapped already before installing it,
      > if it is a round area, the plate may have to be installed first then taped/ well or soldered in place
      > to form with the curved area,, and i dont like the idea of using brass in a still ,,copper or stainless only
      > let us know what you come up with,,do you have a machine shop close to you?
      > they will tap your 2in, hole pretty fast ,
      > virgil
      >

      > ________________________________

    • virgil hoskins
      Message 3 of 8 , Oct 20, 2012
        Hi JJ,, that great that you found your top, and your on your way again
        I was just a a shop tonight and seen a stainless steel dog water dish that would have worked
        for a top,, so cool a copper pot sounds great ,, and for your question ,, your beautiful antique pot
        pretty much had there liebig or steam cone/ or pipe came out the side to a thump keg and then to a cooling coil
        and down into a barrel with water to cool the shine steam and then collected in jars or jugs.
        just a good old family still.
        now as you look farther into our stills you`ll find different still tops for different areas,,,
        none were streight up pipes like the new reflux stills we have today.
        my quetion back toyou is how are you going to clean your pot out before you use it ,, and how?
        next ,, are you going to shine the outside as well or keep it antique?
        virgil

        --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, virgil hoskins <varminteater2003@...> wrote:

        > Good morning JJ
        > Well it looks like a high dollar fix to plug a hole that size,, would you be willing to cut the threaded area
        > out/ off and replate it with a 2in, threaded hole ?,, is the area rounded or flat?
        > if its flat you can have the hole tapped already before installing it,
        > if it is a round area, the plate may have to be installed first then taped/ well or soldered in place
        > to form with the curved area,, and i dont like the idea of using brass in a still ,,copper or stainless only
        > let us know what you come up with,,do you have a machine shop close to you?
        > they will tap your 2in, hole pretty fast ,
        > virgil
        >

        > ________________________________

      • johnjab01
        Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2012
          Thanks for the reply Virgil,

          I played with the cap this weekend....I have it fitting nicely into the top of the still. I figure that I will use a flour paste to seal it up before a run.

          It looks kind of like a chimney cap/plug sticking out the top of the still. I crimped the edge that fits in the still. I still need to hit the local hardware store & see about a fitting to get vapors out. I was thinking of coming out the top with a 90 degree copper flare fitting of some kind, which would then attach to my 1/2" copper worm tube.

          I just like the idea of coming out of the top, because it a flat surface & would make it alot easier. Should I try to go with a large fitting & then neck it down, or do you think the vapor would find it's way out of a 3/4" dia. opening?

          To answer your question, I was planning on putting some vinegar & salt in the pot & run it hard to clean anything that may have gotten in there over the last 30...50....100??? years.

          I am going to leave the outside of the pot as-is. I dont want to polish off the history of the still.

          Thanks again for your help........JJ

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, virgil hoskins <varminteater2003@...> wrote:

          > Hi JJ,, that great that you found your top, and your on your way again
          > I was just a a shop tonight and seen a stainless steel dog water dish that would have worked
          > for a top,, so cool a copper pot sounds great ,, and for your question ,, your beautiful antique pot
          > pretty much had there liebig or steam cone/ or pipe came out the side to a thump keg and then to a cooling coil
          > and down into a barrel with water to cool the shine steam and then collected in jars or jugs.
          > just a good old family still.
          > now as you look farther into our stills you`ll find different still tops for different areas,,,
          > none were streight up pipes like the new reflux stills we have today.
          > my quetion back toyou is how are you going to clean your pot out before you use it ,, and how?
          > next ,, are you going to shine the outside as well or keep it antique?
          > virgil
          >

          > ________________________________

        • johnjab01
          Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2012
            Thanks for the reply Virgil,

            I responed to this once, but Yahoo must have glitched...

            I have my cap about done. It looks like a chimney pipe cap/plug. sticking off the top of the still. It came out fairly well, I cut the top rolled edge & handle off & crimped the cut edge. I will use flour paste for a better seal around the cap during the run.

            I am still contemplating my vapor escape. I really want to come off the top of the cap(bottom of bucket)because of the nice flate surface. I want to put a copper 90 degree fitting coming out of it which will attach to the copper worm. Do you think a 3/4" fitting out the top would suffice?

            To answer your question. I plan on running the unit hard with vinegar & salt to clean out any impurities that may have accumulated over the years. I plan on leaving the copper as-is I dont want to polish off any history of the still, just add more!

            Thanks again..........John

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, virgil hoskins <varminteater2003@...> wrote:

            > Hi JJ,, that great that you found your top, and your on your way again
            > I was just a a shop tonight and seen a stainless steel dog water dish that would have worked
            > for a top,, so cool a copper pot sounds great ,, and for your question ,, your beautiful antique pot
            > pretty much had there liebig or steam cone/ or pipe came out the side to a thump keg and then to a cooling coil
            > and down into a barrel with water to cool the shine steam and then collected in jars or jugs.
            > just a good old family still.
            > now as you look farther into our stills you`ll find different still tops for different areas,,,
            > none were streight up pipes like the new reflux stills we have today.
            > my quetion back toyou is how are you going to clean your pot out before you use it ,, and how?
            > next ,, are you going to shine the outside as well or keep it antique?
            > virgil

          • Alex
            Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2012
              Use bran paste. Keep a ball in hand during run.