  • regal de silva
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2012
      As a beginner, I wanted to follow the easier step of getting alcohol via freezing the mash in the refrigerator.  Out of the 2 liter mash, as a trial, I used only 1 liter of the mash to freeze but results were disappointing.  The total mash was frozen.  There was hardly separation of ice and alcohol.

      The formula used was : 3-1/2 cups white sugar, 2 liters of water and 12 grams of instant dry yeast (used for making bread) Sugar was dissolved in lukewarm water, and the yeast dissolved separately in a pan with lukewarm water till yeast was dissolved, thereafter added the yeast in the pan to the container with the sugar/water.
      An improvised fermentation lock was used to prevent outside air getting into the ferment container. Left for 8 days by which time fermentation has stopped.  However the fermentation (wash) was cloudy, yellowish color  and sweet tasting. (This formula given  by  Zero)

      I tried the above method two times &  could not get good results.  Now I am on my third trial and after 8 days the fermentation appears to have stopped but I will allow it to stand for further 3 weeks! Before I start the freezing method.

      I will venture to the distillation process in the not too distant future.  I accessed your site for information but these are two complicated for a beginner.  Sugar and baker’s yeast is available, so its very helpful if some experienced guy will publish the step by step method of obtaining the correct mash ready for distillation and or freezing. The process must be clearly written.

      If I can get quarter liter of alcohol from 2 liter mash I will be more than happy.  This is dirt cheap than the legal bottled stuff which are prohibitively taxed & hence expensive.

      Help in this matter will be greatly appreciated as home made will save a big dent in my purse!

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2012
        You'll get very little alcohol from such a small wash. Not enough to work with. Minimum wash should be 20 litres or more. Start your learning journey in the files section. Mason's instructions is a good place to begin...

        Admin