Re: distilling hopped beer

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
      Bier schnapps?

      http://www.probrewer.com/resources/distilling/schnapps.php

      wal

      > I only have experience with 2 kinds of hopped beer distillation, and
      > they match what Nicodeamus says. As a demonstration for the book, I
      > distilled small amounts of American lager (probably Bud), and had no
      > objections to the very light hop flavor in the distillate.
      >
      > When I distilled a holiday ale my son had brewed (and didn't like) the
      > distillate hop flavor was fairly strong and unpleasant to my tastes.
      > Admittedly, my son is kinda heavy-handed with hops. I just don't know
      > about the Belgian

      > <http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin M <nicodeamous@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have distilled several batches using left-over keg beer and made
      > decent whiskey with it.
      > >
      > > I had read past posts which stated that the hop aroma /oils would come
      > through and cause an unsatisfactory product (and may contaminate the
      > still)
      > >
      > > However i did not detect any hop aroma after 2 passes (strip & final)
      > through my still (although I was using Budweiser which i don't think has
      > much of a hop profile to speak of).
      > >
      > > I don't recall Belgian style beers as being too hoppy (as compared to
      > say a double IPA) so I might suggest doing a stripping run in your pot
      > still and check if there is objectionable odor coming through.
      > >
      > > KM

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
        Exactly, Wal.

        I've been thinking about this lately, and I suspect that people tend to like bier schnapps more when it's distilled from a less-than-strongly hopped beer, as in classic American and (slightly less so) German beers.

        It seems to be the heavily-hopped British IPA's and the American lupulin-crazed corruptions of IPA's that back drinkers off when distilled.