Re: distilling hopped beer

  • Kevin M
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2012
      I have distilled several batches using left-over keg beer and made decent whiskey with it.

      I had read past posts which stated that the hop aroma /oils would come through and cause an unsatisfactory product (and may contaminate the still)

      However i did not detect any hop aroma after 2 passes (strip & final) through my still (although I was using Budweiser which i don't think has much of a hop profile to speak of).

      I don't recall Belgian style beers as being too hoppy (as compared to say a double IPA) so I might suggest doing a stripping run in your pot still and check if there is objectionable odor coming through.

      KM

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2012
        I only have experience with 2 kinds of hopped beer distillation, and they match what Nicodeamus says. As a demonstration for the book, I distilled small amounts of American lager (probably Bud), and had no objections to the very light hop flavor in the distillate.

        When I distilled a holiday ale my son had brewed (and didn't like) the distillate hop flavor was fairly strong and unpleasant to my tastes. Admittedly, my son is kinda heavy-handed with hops. I just don't know about the Belgian

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin M <nicodeamous@...> wrote:

        > I have distilled several batches using left-over keg beer and made decent whiskey with it.
        >
        > I had read past posts which stated that the hop aroma /oils would come through and cause an unsatisfactory product (and may contaminate the still)
        >
        > However i did not detect any hop aroma after 2 passes (strip & final) through my still (although I was using Budweiser which i don't think has much of a hop profile to speak of).
        >
        > I don't recall Belgian style beers as being too hoppy (as compared to say a double IPA) so I might suggest doing a stripping run in your pot still and check if there is objectionable odor coming through.
        >
        > KM

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
          Bier schnapps?

          http://www.probrewer.com/resources/distilling/schnapps.php

          wal

          > I only have experience with 2 kinds of hopped beer distillation, and
          > they match what Nicodeamus says. As a demonstration for the book, I
          > distilled small amounts of American lager (probably Bud), and had no
          > objections to the very light hop flavor in the distillate.
          >
          > When I distilled a holiday ale my son had brewed (and didn't like) the
          > distillate hop flavor was fairly strong and unpleasant to my tastes.
          > Admittedly, my son is kinda heavy-handed with hops. I just don't know
          > about the Belgian

          > <http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin M <nicodeamous@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have distilled several batches using left-over keg beer and made
          > decent whiskey with it.
          > >
          > > I had read past posts which stated that the hop aroma /oils would come
          > through and cause an unsatisfactory product (and may contaminate the
          > still)
          > >
          > > However i did not detect any hop aroma after 2 passes (strip & final)
          > through my still (although I was using Budweiser which i don't think has
          > much of a hop profile to speak of).
          > >
          > > I don't recall Belgian style beers as being too hoppy (as compared to
          > say a double IPA) so I might suggest doing a stripping run in your pot
          > still and check if there is objectionable odor coming through.
          > >
          > > KM

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
            Exactly, Wal.

            I've been thinking about this lately, and I suspect that people tend to like bier schnapps more when it's distilled from a less-than-strongly hopped beer, as in classic American and (slightly less so) German beers.

            It seems to be the heavily-hopped British IPA's and the American lupulin-crazed corruptions of IPA's that back drinkers off when distilled.