distilling hopped beer

  • loulenz2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2012
      A friend of mine gave me 300L of a strong belgian beer he makes at 10%abv that has an off taste and a little contaminated but not vinegary yet. Has anyone had success of distilling hopped beer into a neutral spirit? I have a 50L wood fired potstill for first runs and a 2inch 4 foot tall LM from Smiley' book for the spirit run. Any ideas?
    • Kevin M
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2012
        I have distilled several batches using left-over keg beer and made decent whiskey with it.

        I had read past posts which stated that the hop aroma /oils would come through and cause an unsatisfactory product (and may contaminate the still)

        However i did not detect any hop aroma after 2 passes (strip & final) through my still (although I was using Budweiser which i don't think has much of a hop profile to speak of).

        I don't recall Belgian style beers as being too hoppy (as compared to say a double IPA) so I might suggest doing a stripping run in your pot still and check if there is objectionable odor coming through.

        KM

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2012
          I only have experience with 2 kinds of hopped beer distillation, and they match what Nicodeamus says. As a demonstration for the book, I distilled small amounts of American lager (probably Bud), and had no objections to the very light hop flavor in the distillate.

          When I distilled a holiday ale my son had brewed (and didn't like) the distillate hop flavor was fairly strong and unpleasant to my tastes. Admittedly, my son is kinda heavy-handed with hops. I just don't know about the Belgian

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin M <nicodeamous@...> wrote:

          > I have distilled several batches using left-over keg beer and made decent whiskey with it.
          >
          > I had read past posts which stated that the hop aroma /oils would come through and cause an unsatisfactory product (and may contaminate the still)
          >
          > However i did not detect any hop aroma after 2 passes (strip & final) through my still (although I was using Budweiser which i don't think has much of a hop profile to speak of).
          >
          > I don't recall Belgian style beers as being too hoppy (as compared to say a double IPA) so I might suggest doing a stripping run in your pot still and check if there is objectionable odor coming through.
          >
          > KM

        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
            Bier schnapps?

            http://www.probrewer.com/resources/distilling/schnapps.php

            wal

            > I only have experience with 2 kinds of hopped beer distillation, and
            > they match what Nicodeamus says. As a demonstration for the book, I
            > distilled small amounts of American lager (probably Bud), and had no
            > objections to the very light hop flavor in the distillate.
            >
            > When I distilled a holiday ale my son had brewed (and didn't like) the
            > distillate hop flavor was fairly strong and unpleasant to my tastes.
            > Admittedly, my son is kinda heavy-handed with hops. I just don't know
            > about the Belgian

            > <http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin M <nicodeamous@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have distilled several batches using left-over keg beer and made
            > decent whiskey with it.
            > >
            > > I had read past posts which stated that the hop aroma /oils would come
            > through and cause an unsatisfactory product (and may contaminate the
            > still)
            > >
            > > However i did not detect any hop aroma after 2 passes (strip & final)
            > through my still (although I was using Budweiser which i don't think has
            > much of a hop profile to speak of).
            > >
            > > I don't recall Belgian style beers as being too hoppy (as compared to
            > say a double IPA) so I might suggest doing a stripping run in your pot
            > still and check if there is objectionable odor coming through.
            > >
            > > KM

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2012
              Exactly, Wal.

              I've been thinking about this lately, and I suspect that people tend to like bier schnapps more when it's distilled from a less-than-strongly hopped beer, as in classic American and (slightly less so) German beers.

              It seems to be the heavily-hopped British IPA's and the American lupulin-crazed corruptions of IPA's that back drinkers off when distilled.