Re: home made alcohol

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 17, 2012
      Paul,

      That's what everything I've read says also. Although it may be a leap of faith I'm not willing to test, for most volatile liquids, taste is closely related to smell.

      Interestingly, several sources show the odor of "pure" methanol as "sweet and alcoholic", while some references show "crude" methanol as having a "pungent" odor. That sounds to me like there is a method of producing impure methanol that is full of adulterant crap.

      Ultimately, it's pretty clear that all the methanol deaths during our US Prohibition were due to conscious dilution of liquor with toxic methanol, not from sloppy distillation practices (although the latter almost certainly caused a lot of bad headaches).

      When the federal government agency that controlled "denaturing" ethanol began using methanol as a denaturant, they were told that many deaths would occur from that choice, in part because the methanol was hard to taste in ethanol, the response was that if people chose to break the law and drink, then it was ok if they died.