Re: [new_distillers] Re: home made alcohol

  • Bob Glicksman
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 12, 2012
      ?? - not following you, Waljaco.  If you let the ice melt, then it remixes with the enriched ethanol and dilutes it all over again.  The whole idea is to remove the ice as a solid, which contains less ethanol than the original mixture, and keep the cold liquid, which is more concentrated in ethanol.  I suppose that you could periodically check tyhe freezer and scoop the ice off before it freezes a solid cap over the enriched ethanol.  More checking, less chopping.
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 12, 2012
        Couldn't you use the PET bottles and freeze them with the cap down.  Just talking here as I never tried this.  When the alcohol "seperates" from the liquid, does it float or sink.  depending on where the seperation is, keep the cap there and just unscrew the cap and pour the alcohol out.
        White Bear

        --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, Bob Glicksman <bobg542492@...> wrote:

        > Freeze distillation (what you are proposing) works. It exploits the difference in freezing point between alcohol and water, just as regular distillation exploits differences in boiling point. The problem with freeze distillation is: how do you remove the ice to get at the liquid? It is not easy - takes a lot of chopping and such and the ice melts while you are doing it. Just like the boiling point of the mixture is in between the boiling points of the components, so is the freezing point in between the component freezing points. Thus, you concentrate the ethanol this way but don't totally separate it in one pass. I can't comment on legality in Sri Lanka, but in the USA, freezing (or any process that concentrates the ethanol) is still considered to be distillation.

      • number5353
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 12, 2012
          Am I right in saying that the resulting liquid obtained from this
          process will contain methanol/fusels, if so how can they be removed ?
          Can they be filtered out using active carbon or has the group any other suggestions ?

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

          > Couldn't you use the PET bottles and freeze them with the cap down.  Just talking here as I never tried this.  When the alcohol "seperates" from the liquid, does it float or sink.  depending on where the seperation is, keep the cap there and just unscrew the cap and pour the alcohol out.
          > White Bear
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Bob Glicksman
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 12, 2012
            You are correct.  Freezing is not precise like reflux distillation and there isn't any way to separate out the other alcohols.  The best plan is to stick with distillation, where you can separate foreshots, heats and tails, as you wish.
            Am I right in saying that the resulting liquid obtained from this
            process will contain methanol/fusels, if so how can they be removed ?
            Can they be filtered out using active carbon or has the group any other suggestions ?

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

            > Couldn't you use the PET bottles and freeze them with the cap down.  Just talking here as I never tried this.  When the alcohol "seperates" from the liquid, does it float or sink.  depending on where the seperation is, keep the cap there and just unscrew the cap and pour the alcohol out.
            > White Bear
            >

            > ________________________________

          • White Bear
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 12, 2012
                In my opinion, freeze distillation will result in all the alcohols being seperated from the wash.  Just as doing a stripping run, you will end up with all the foreshots, heads, hearts and tails.  This will have to be treated as such and a rediatillation will have to be performed, now is where the cuts come in.
                I use a large still to do my stripping run and a smaller pot still to do my cuts afterwards.  This gives me better control over the cuts and ease of seperation.
              White Bear

              --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

              > Couldn't you use the PET bottles and freeze them with the cap down.  Just talking here as I never tried this.  When the alcohol "seperates" from the liquid, does it float or sink.  depending on where the seperation is, keep the cap there and just unscrew the cap and pour the alcohol out.
              > White Bear
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Len
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 13, 2012
                I've used this freezing technique to make brandy using my homemade apple wine.  It is very simple to do.  I leave my wine in a primary fermentor on my porch and use a colander to separate the ice out daily.  It's not a difficult process.  It makes a harsh product that needs a couple years of aging before it is pleasant.  Here's the rub though:  Even with some 25 below winters, you will only get about 25-30 abv.  Most people don't have that kind of cold.  It does make good apple brandy though if you can wait for it.  I've got a chart somewhere that shows temperature - with possible alcohol.  I'll post it if I can find it.

                  In my opinion, freeze distillation will result in all the alcohols being seperated from the wash.  Just as doing a stripping run, you will end up with all the foreshots, heads, hearts and tails.  This will have to be treated as such and a rediatillation will have to be performed, now is where the cuts come in.
                  I use a large still to do my stripping run and a smaller pot still to do my cuts afterwards.  This gives me better control over the cuts and ease of seperation.
                White Bear

                You are correct.  Freezing is not precise like reflux distillation and there isn't any way to separate out the other alcohols.  The best plan is to stick with distillation, where you can separate foreshots, heats and tails, as you wish.
                Am I right in saying that the resulting liquid obtained from this
                process will contain methanol/fusels, if so how can they be removed ?
                Can they be filtered out using active carbon or has the group any other suggestions ?

                --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                > Couldn't you use the PET bottles and freeze them with the cap down.  Just talking here as I never tried this.  When the alcohol "seperates" from the liquid, does it float or sink.  depending on where the seperation is, keep the cap there and just unscrew the cap and pour the alcohol out.
                > White Bear
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Len
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 13, 2012
                  Okay, I should have added to my last post that you don't have to chop the ice, it only freezes to a slush.  Here is the temperture-alchol information I mentioned.  This is from an applejack recipe

                  Each day you will notice that the amount of ice that is forming
                  will be less and less, until eventually no more ice will form at
                  all at that particular temperature. The following will give you
                  an idea of how concentrated the alcohol can become at a given
                  temperature: at zero degrees ice will form until the liquid
                  reaches 14% alcohol by volume. At 10 below ice will form until it
                  reaches 20%. At 20 below 27% can be made. And, at 30 below
                  33% alcohol can be obtained.

                  You are correct.  Freezing is not precise like reflux distillation and there isn't any way to separate out the other alcohols.  The best plan is to stick with distillation, where you can separate foreshots, heats and tails, as you wish.
                  Am I right in saying that the resulting liquid obtained from this
                  process will contain methanol/fusels, if so how can they be removed ?
                  Can they be filtered out using active carbon or has the group any other suggestions ?

                  --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                  > Couldn't you use the PET bottles and freeze them with the cap down.  Just talking here as I never tried this.  When the alcohol "seperates" from the liquid, does it float or sink.  depending on where the seperation is, keep the cap there and just unscrew the cap and pour the alcohol out.
                  > White Bear
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • waljaco
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 14, 2012
                    The whole idea is to remove as much alcohol as you can by letting it drip out. You repeat the freezing & thawing several times as water also is a product of thawing.
                    wal

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Glicksman <bobg542492@...> wrote:

                    > ?? - not following you, Waljaco. If you let the ice melt, then it remixes with the enriched ethanol and dilutes it all over again. The whole idea is to remove the ice as a solid, which contains less ethanol than the original mixture, and keep the cold liquid, which is more concentrated in ethanol. I suppose that you could periodically check tyhe freezer and scoop the ice off before it freezes a solid cap over the enriched ethanol. More checking, less chopping.

                  • waljaco
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 14, 2012
                      Here is a description of how to do it in the home. PET bottles would be advisable as glass can shatter and note that sugar washes have no methanol.

                      http://www.wineworldfdw.com/freezer_system.html

                      wal

                      > The whole idea is to remove as much alcohol as you can by letting it drip out. You repeat the freezing & thawing several times as water also is a product of thawing.
                      > wal
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Glicksman <bobg542492@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > ?? - not following you, Waljaco. If you let the ice melt, then it remixes with the enriched ethanol and dilutes it all over again. The whole idea is to remove the ice as a solid, which contains less ethanol than the original mixture, and keep the cold liquid, which is more concentrated in ethanol. I suppose that you could periodically check tyhe freezer and scoop the ice off before it freezes a solid cap over the enriched ethanol. More checking, less chopping.

                    • waljaco
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 14, 2012
                        Here are some notes from a now defunct site ("My freeze concentration method.") -

                        Do not lay the bottles down or the mouth will be blocked.

                        Beverages with high alcohol or residual sugars will not freeze into a solid mass and will give slightly when squeezed.

                        As the ice melts, the alcohol and residual sugars are released and flow into the collection bottle along with some of the water.

                        I usually try to leave behind about 20% each time through the process. At this point, the ice remaining should be clear or nearly so.
                        wal
                        PS It is a method that is used to make ice beer (Eisbock) or a mock ice wine.

                        > Here is a description of how to do it in the home. PET bottles would be advisable as glass can shatter and note that sugar washes have no methanol.
                        >
                        > http://www.wineworldfdw.com/freezer_system.html
                        >
                        > wal
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The whole idea is to remove as much alcohol as you can by letting it drip out. You repeat the freezing & thawing several times as water also is a product of thawing.
                        > > wal
                        > >
                        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Glicksman <bobg542492@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > ?? - not following you, Waljaco. If you let the ice melt, then it remixes with the enriched ethanol and dilutes it all over again. The whole idea is to remove the ice as a solid, which contains less ethanol than the original mixture, and keep the cold liquid, which is more concentrated in ethanol. I suppose that you could periodically check tyhe freezer and scoop the ice off before it freezes a solid cap over the enriched ethanol. More checking, less chopping.

                      • M L
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 14, 2012
                          So you're saying there would be no fore shots with a sugar wash?

                          Here is a description of how to do it in the home. PET bottles would be advisable as glass can shatter and note that sugar washes have no methanol.

                          http://www.wineworldfdw.com/freezer_system.html

                          wal

                          > The whole idea is to remove as much alcohol as you can by letting it drip out. You repeat the freezing & thawing several times as water also is a product of thawing.
                          > wal
                          >
                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Glicksman <bobg542492@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > ?? - not following you, Waljaco. If you let the ice melt, then it remixes with the enriched ethanol and dilutes it all over again. The whole idea is to remove the ice as a solid, which contains less ethanol than the original mixture, and keep the cold liquid, which is more concentrated in ethanol. I suppose that you could periodically check tyhe freezer and scoop the ice off before it freezes a solid cap over the enriched ethanol. More checking, less chopping.

                        • tgfoitwoods
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 14, 2012
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                            > So you're saying there would be no fore shots with a sugar wash?

                            Actually, it's a persistent but incorrect myth that foreshots removal is strictly to remove methanol from the collected spirits. Most importantly, foreshost removal is for reducing the unpleasant flavors from the spirit, and I'm told (and I'll take the authority's word, here) that methanol is undetectable by taste in ethanol. Foreshots are where the highest concentrations of acetone, acetaldehyde, furfural, and traces of other low-boiling, bad-tasting stuff are. If there also happens to be methanol in the wash, while it won't be tasted, some of it will be removed from the collected spirit.

                            So, yes, discard the foreshots from a sugar wash.

                          • waljaco
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 15, 2012
                              I said no methanol from a sugar wash.
                              wal

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                              > So you're saying there would be no fore shots with a sugar wash?

                            • M L
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 15, 2012
                                Yeah, If I'm not mistaken that's why you catch the fore shots and discard, because of the methanol that comes out first. So if there is no methanol in a sugar wash , them there is no need to collect and toss out the fore shots .However , the first stuff out of a sagar wash run has a sharp bite that is not in the drips that follow.

                                > So you're saying there would be no fore shots with a sugar wash?

                              • tgfoitwoods
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 15, 2012
                                  One more time.

                                  Actually, it's a persistent but incorrect myth that foreshots removal is strictly to remove methanol from the collected spirits. Most importantly, foreshots removal is for reducing the unpleasant flavors from the spirit, and I'm told (and I'll take the authority's word, here) that methanol is undetectable by taste in ethanol (it tastes like slightly sweetened ethanol). Foreshots are where the highest concentrations of acetone, acetaldehyde, furfural, and traces of other low-boiling, bad-tasting stuff are. If there also happens to be methanol in the wash, while it won't be tasted, some of it will be removed from the collected spirit.

                                  So, yes, discard the foreshots from a sugar wash.

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                                  > Yeah, If I'm not mistaken that's why you catch the fore shots and discard, because of the methanol that comes out first. So if there is no methanol in a sugar wash , them there is no need to collect and toss out the fore shots .However , the first stuff out of a sagar wash run has a sharp bite that is not in the drips that follow.

                                • White Bear
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 15, 2012
                                    I don't know about the "methanol is undetectable by taste in ethanol (it tastes like slightly sweetened ethanol)."   I accently got a bit of "HEET" which is 90% methanol in my mouth last winter (we use it here in the states as a fuel line defroster) and believe me, IT WAS NOT SWEET.
                                      What I suggest is discard the first 20ml from a 20 liter wash just to be on the safe side.  The foreshots are where the poisons are found but, do as you please.  You can email me from your hospital bed, just saying
                                    White Bear

                                    Actually, it's a persistent but incorrect myth that foreshots removal is strictly to remove methanol from the collected spirits. Most importantly, foreshots removal is for reducing the unpleasant flavors from the spirit, and I'm told (and I'll take the authority's word, here) that methanol is undetectable by taste in ethanol (it tastes like slightly sweetened ethanol). Foreshots are where the highest concentrations of acetone, acetaldehyde, furfural, and traces of other low-boiling, bad-tasting stuff are. If there also happens to be methanol in the wash, while it won't be tasted, some of it will be removed from the collected spirit.

                                    So, yes, discard the foreshots from a sugar wash.

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                                    > Yeah, If I'm not mistaken that's why you catch the fore shots and discard, because of the methanol that comes out first. So if there is no methanol in a sugar wash , them there is no need to collect and toss out the fore shots .However , the first stuff out of a sagar wash run has a sharp bite that is not in the drips that follow.

                                    from a sugar wash.

                                    > wal

                                  • waljaco
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 15, 2012
                                      From The Distillation of Alcohol by J Stone & M Nixon -

                                      Compound & Boiling Point (deg. C)
                                      Acetone 56.5
                                      Methanol 64.7
                                      Ethyl acetate 77.1
                                      Ethyl alcohol 78.4
                                      Propyl alcohol 97.2
                                      Water 100

                                      Even if you have no methanol, acetone and ethyl acetate are smelly.

                                      wal

                                    • tgfoitwoods
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 16, 2012
                                        Heet is a yellow liquid (methanol is clear), it "prevents rust and corrosion" (methanol does neither) and according to the MSDS contains "proprietary additives", exact compounds not available. If I gave you a glass that was 90% water, and the rest was color, rust and corrosion inhibitors, and un-named additives, could you honestly tell if that water was sweet or not?

                                        Go to this site http://whiskyscience.blogspot.com/2011/03/pot-still-distillation.html
                                        and look at the odor of methanol.

                                        I will admit however, that on AD I missed the most important flavoring that you need to discard in the foreshots, ethyl acetate, but Pint reminded me of that error. This article will also fill you in on the compounds you will remove in your foreshots.

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                                        > I don't know about the "methanol is undetectable by taste in ethanol (it tastes like slightly sweetened ethanol)."  I accently got a bit of "HEET" which is 90% methanol in my mouth last winter (we use it here in the states as a fuel line defroster) and believe me, IT WAS NOT SWEET.
                                        >   What I suggest is discard the first 20ml from a 20 liter wash just to be on the safe side.  The foreshots are where the poisons are found but, do as you please.  You can email me from your hospital bed, just saying
                                        > White Bear
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • White Bear
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 16, 2012
                                          Sorry bob but I disagree with you.  The heet for ICB engines is clear, the HEEt for diesiel is colored and of a different grade.
                                          White Bear

                                          Heet is a yellow liquid (methanol is clear), it "prevents rust and corrosion" (methanol does neither) and according to the MSDS contains "proprietary additives", exact compounds not available. If I gave you a glass that was 90% water, and the rest was color, rust and corrosion inhibitors, and un-named additives, could you honestly tell if that water was sweet or not?

                                          Go to this site http://whiskyscience.blogspot.com/2011/03/pot-still-distillation.html
                                          and look at the odor of methanol.

                                          I will admit however, that on AD I missed the most important flavoring that you need to discard in the foreshots, ethyl acetate, but Pint reminded me of that error. This article will also fill you in on the compounds you will remove in your foreshots.

                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                                          > I don't know about the "methanol is undetectable by taste in ethanol (it tastes like slightly sweetened ethanol)."  I accently got a bit of "HEET" which is 90% methanol in my mouth last winter (we use it here in the states as a fuel line defroster) and believe me, IT WAS NOT SWEET.
                                          >   What I suggest is discard the first 20ml from a 20 liter wash just to be on the safe side.  The foreshots are where the poisons are found but, do as you please.  You can email me from your hospital bed, just saying
                                          > White Bear
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • tgfoitwoods
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 17, 2012
                                            Disagreement duly noted.

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

                                            > Sorry bob but I disagree with you. The heet for ICB engines is
                                            clear, the HEEt for diesiel is colored and of a different grade.
                                            > White Bear
                                            >

                                            > ________________________________

                                          • GGB
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 17, 2012
                                              Methanol apparently smells sweeter than ethanol, that from a couple of sources, one being wikipedia. No word on taste.

                                              Paul
                                            • tgfoitwoods
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 17, 2012
                                                Paul,

                                                That's what everything I've read says also. Although it may be a leap of faith I'm not willing to test, for most volatile liquids, taste is closely related to smell.

                                                Interestingly, several sources show the odor of "pure" methanol as "sweet and alcoholic", while some references show "crude" methanol as having a "pungent" odor. That sounds to me like there is a method of producing impure methanol that is full of adulterant crap.

                                                Ultimately, it's pretty clear that all the methanol deaths during our US Prohibition were due to conscious dilution of liquor with toxic methanol, not from sloppy distillation practices (although the latter almost certainly caused a lot of bad headaches).

                                                When the federal government agency that controlled "denaturing" ethanol began using methanol as a denaturant, they were told that many deaths would occur from that choice, in part because the methanol was hard to taste in ethanol, the response was that if people chose to break the law and drink, then it was ok if they died.