Re: hickory filter

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
      Hi Wal,

      Actually, the maple charcoal is used to flavor and modify Tennessee whiskey. Charred oak is used to give bourbon its characteristic  taste. Hickory is used to age some rums.

      I once used that rum to make a drink for a physician friend of mine, and he asked, "What the hell is this?" I told him, "It's a hickory daquiri, Doc."

      Ba dump bump

      > I thought for bourbon maple charcoal is used. It imparts flavor from residual sugars etc. For more efficient filtering you need activated charcoal which can be reused by boiling.
      > wal
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" jsducote@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.
      > >
      > > In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
      > > -j
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Any advice anyone??

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
        Chestnut casks are used in Italy and Spain - so other woods other than oak can be used (unless toxic!)
        wal