Re: hickory filter

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5 4:14 AM
      Early Russian vodka was filtered using birch charcoal.
      I think my axe handle is made from hickory.

      wal

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

      > Waljaco, your right! Hickory wood is usually / mainly, used for smoking meats.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Marc
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I thought for bourbon maple charcoal is used. It imparts flavor from residual sugars etc. For more efficient filtering you need activated charcoal which can be reused by boiling.
      > > wal
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" <jsducote@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.
      > > >
      > > > In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
      > > > -j

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6 12:03 AM
        Hi Wal,

        Actually, the maple charcoal is used to flavor and modify Tennessee whiskey. Charred oak is used to give bourbon its characteristic  taste. Hickory is used to age some rums.

        I once used that rum to make a drink for a physician friend of mine, and he asked, "What the hell is this?" I told him, "It's a hickory daquiri, Doc."

        Ba dump bump

        > I thought for bourbon maple charcoal is used. It imparts flavor from residual sugars etc. For more efficient filtering you need activated charcoal which can be reused by boiling.
        > wal
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" jsducote@ wrote:
        > >
        > > I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.
        > >
        > > In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
        > > -j
        > >
        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Any advice anyone??

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6 1:12 AM
          Chestnut casks are used in Italy and Spain - so other woods other than oak can be used (unless toxic!)
          wal