Re: burners vs stove top?

  • jsducote
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
      Disclaimer: I have no equipment of my own or practical experience, merely what I've read so far...

      There are plenty of kits on the market that you can find by googling 'stovetop still' so it is a realistic possibility.

      It isn't the really about the capacity of the boiler but the height and diameter of the column that determines whether your kitchen stove is a viable heat source. You can see the calculations at homedistiller.org showing that if you want to drive a bigger column (for faster runs with higher purity) you need more heat.

      If I'm reading the reflux calculator correctly, a 10 Gal run at 1500W through a 20-inch high, 2-inch diam column [dimensions of Mile High's ready-made, basic towers] will take roughly 8 hours to collect all the hearts. It looks to me like it'll take another 7 hours or so to collect all the tails. So consider how long you don't mind (read: significant other doesn't mind) tying up your stovetop and kitchen sink for a run. Yes, there's a great source of water there, but you'll be dumping a LOT down the drain unless you're recirculating it.

      That said, stovetop is the route I am currently pursuing, including recirculating the water from my stopped-up sink 3 feet away from my stove.

      Can anyone contradict or correct the above?
      -j