RE: [new_distillers] What do you think of this premade still?

  • TODP
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
      You can get a far superior set up for less that will work 10 times better!! http://www.milehidistilling.com/electric-8-gallon-moonshine-with-starter-kit/

      On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Blackhat-Whitedog wrote:

      in case yahoo muggles the url up, here is a short version

      or search for item number Item number: 170798178119

      This is a california creations 10 gallon copper still with a thumper and coil in a bucket.

      I know most of you would say it could be built for a lot less, but I'm not that handy with soldiering, and considering the price of some of the pots and pans the chef of this house uses, its down right reasonable.  Believe me, if this had a french name and was sold by Williams=Sonoma it would be $3,000.

      but it looks nice which would be half the battle with other half who seems to be concerned about that sorta thing.   I've looking at craigslist for SS kegs and all and by the time I get this that and the other, a couple hundred for a kit that has most of what is needed seems reasonable.

    • jeffkimblelv
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
        It's pretty pricy compared to what you can do with simple hand tools. If you want something shiny, and you only want to pot still, go for it.

        MileHiDistilling will sell you a full unit with a better condensor and more options available for less if you want to buy direct.

        But for less that $100, including the original cost of my stainless beer brew kettle, I made a perfectly functional pot still.

        If I wanted a turn-key unit that displayed well, I'd look here: http://www.copper-alembic.com

        and if you want a comparison on all copper DIY, look here:
        http://www.clawhammersupply.com/collections/frontpage/products/moonshine-still-kit-10-gallon

        I'm working on a converted keg for electric brewing and a bubble plate column, but I like the building and designing process just as just as the actual stilling, so I"m not much of a barometer.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Blackhat-Whitedog <blkhatwhtdog@...> wrote:

        > http://www.ebay.com/itm/170798178119?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
        >
        > in case yahoo muggles the url up, here is a short version
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/9o2vdqw
        >
        > or search for item number Item number: 170798178119
        >
        > This is a california creations 10 gallon copper still with a thumper and coil in a bucket.
        >
        > I know most of you would say it could be built for a lot less, but I'm not that handy with soldiering, and considering the price of some of the pots and pans the chef of this house uses, its down right reasonable. Believe me, if this had a french name and was sold by Williams=Sonoma it would be $3,000.
        >
        > but it looks nice which would be half the battle with other half who seems to be concerned about that sorta thing. I've looking at craigslist for SS kegs and all and by the time I get this that and the other, a couple hundred for a kit that has most of what is needed seems reasonable.

      • White Bear
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
          Having a cold thumper will impede the vapors travles to the condenser.  Most of the vapor will condense inside the thumper causing it to fill with condensate.  This is why you distill the contents of the thumper in your nrxt run, to collect the residual alcohol in the liquid of the thumper.  By insulating the thumper Or heating it externally the vapor will proceed to the condenser although some will always be left behind in the thumper which will have to be collected during your next run or at the end of your remaining runs.
            The only reason to use a thumper is to prevent puke from entering the condenser and it is usually utilized only on a pot still where controll of heat is generally an issue.
          White Bear

          smslc.org

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28, 2012
            Since a thumper is also called a doubler I thought it's purpose was to double distill thus making a more pure and more potent (higher proof) product without having to re-run it, was I mistaken in this thinking ?

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28, 2012
              Some places the thumper IS called a doubler, so here you are correct.  It depends on what you use in the thumper.  During you first run, you will probably use just water.  Here you should redistill the thumper liquid after the final run.  As time goes on, the liquid in the thumper will contain a high degree of alcohol.
                If you are doing many runs at a time and your thumper is hot, you can dump its contents into the boiler after each run and use it as a diluter to your wash.  Your next run you will be collecting more than your first because of the alcohol content of the thumper also being collected and you fill your thumper with fresh water.  After this run you can either leave the liquid in the thumper and run again, doubling the alcohol in the thumper and collect it in the next run.

                You can also use alcohol in the thumper and this will give you a sense of doubling you output but here you are diluting this alcohol with water that condenses from the potstill.  Remember, using a potstill you will condense water along with the product.  To get a purer product, you need to use a reflux still or refractionating column and follow any one of the proceedures, LM Liquid Management, CM Cooling management or VM vapor Management and you will get a higher ABV alcohol by volumn from each run.
              White Bear

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 30, 2012
                I was reading this thread it seemed to me to get a little confusing, so i just want to clarify a few points.

                Generally speaking, I've found the word "Thumper" & "Doubler" to mean the same thing and used interchangeably.

                It is used to describe a secondary vessel positioned after the boiler of a potstill into which wash or other alcohol containing liquid (tails, etc.) is added such that the boiler vapors to pass through it. It acts like a 2nd boiler, raising the %abv of the distillate collected from the condenser, which is the reason for its use.

                Insulating it helps it work. Keeping it near the main pot also helps. The %abv of the wash would determine the size you would want to use (if you run a low %abv then you'll want a bigger thumper).
                Typically i've seen them 20%-30% the volume of the main pot for hobby stills.

                Having said all that, i would recommend that the OP's(kekedog13) friend make his thumper at least 2.5 quarts and use wash instead of water. And as was stated in previous posts, insulate it or move closer to the boiler to retain heat and don't run the still too fast.

                Also, the item placed between the pot and condenser to collect 'puke' is known as a 'slobber box' and is not set up the same as a thumper.
                Of course if you have 'puke' coming out of the still you've got too much wash and/or too much heat.

                Hope this helps.

                KM

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 31, 2012
                  KM and all, Yep, We went up to a 1 gal. jar thumper for a 3 gal. pot still, insulated it with a foil backed bubble wrap then put in a quart of tails. After the run it had no more liquid in than when we started which was what we were hoping for. We ran our first  PBS through it, came out real nice. Used corn we picked ourselves and light brown sugar . Followed the instruction in Pops' recipe, it smelled good through the entire fermentation process. Thanks to Everyone who gave us feed back on this .ML