hickory filter

  • johnjab01
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2012
      This is my first post. I have successfully ran 2 batches of sugar wash through my 5 gallon pot still.

      I have done alot of reading & planning before I ran(I'm glad I did).
      Both runs turned out well.

      I filtered the finished product through hickory chunks that I charred in a campfire, which really seemed to smooth the drink.

      Now my question is how many times can I re-use the same charcoled hickory? Can it be used forever? Will I need to made new chars? if so, how often? I have used my original hickory both times. I just rinse it with water & let dry & put it in a ziplock bag for next time.

      Any advice buy you pro's is appreciated.

      Thanks..........John
    • johnjab01
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2012
        Any advice anyone??

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@...> wrote:

        > This is my first post. I have successfully ran 2 batches of sugar wash through my 5 gallon pot still.
        >
        > I have done alot of reading & planning before I ran(I'm glad I did).
        > Both runs turned out well.
        >
        > I filtered the finished product through hickory chunks that I charred in a campfire, which really seemed to smooth the drink.
        >
        > Now my question is how many times can I re-use the same charcoled hickory? Can it be used forever? Will I need to made new chars? if so, how often? I have used my original hickory both times. I just rinse it with water & let dry & put it in a ziplock bag for next time.
        >
        > Any advice buy you pro's is appreciated.
        >

        > Thanks..........John

      • jsducote
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2012
          I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.

          In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
          -j

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@...> wrote:

          > Any advice anyone??
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This is my first post. I have successfully ran 2 batches of sugar wash through my 5 gallon pot still.
          > >
          > > I have done alot of reading & planning before I ran(I'm glad I did).
          > > Both runs turned out well.
          > >
          > > I filtered the finished product through hickory chunks that I charred in a campfire, which really seemed to smooth the drink.
          > >
          > > Now my question is how many times can I re-use the same charcoled hickory? Can it be used forever? Will I need to made new chars? if so, how often? I have used my original hickory both times. I just rinse it with water & let dry & put it in a ziplock bag for next time.
          > >
          > > Any advice buy you pro's is appreciated.
          > >

          > > Thanks..........John
        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2012
            I'd say the answer is the same as "How many times do I use a Kleenex?". The first time is always the best, and it gets less satisfactory each time you use it. That's why part of the bourbon specification is aging in "a new charred oak barrel". You don't get as much flavor addition from aging in a used charred oak barrel, but you do get some improvement. Whether or not that good enough for you is up to you, kinda like the Kleenex.

            While I like used toasted oak for aging some liquors, I always make new char for aging bourbon.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" <jsducote@...> wrote:

            > I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.
            >
            > In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
            > -j
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" johnjab01@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Any advice anyone??
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > This is my first post. I have successfully ran 2 batches of sugar wash through my 5 gallon pot still.
            > > >
            > > > I have done alot of reading & planning before I ran(I'm glad I did).
            > > > Both runs turned out well.
            > > >
            > > > I filtered the finished product through hickory chunks that I charred in a campfire, which really seemed to smooth the drink.
            > > >
            > > > Now my question is how many times can I re-use the same charcoled hickory? Can it be used forever? Will I need to made new chars? if so, how often? I have used my original hickory both times. I just rinse it with water & let dry & put it in a ziplock bag for next time.
            > > >
            > > > Any advice buy you pro's is appreciated.
            > > >

            > > > Thanks..........John

          • waljaco
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2012
              I thought for bourbon maple charcoal is used. It imparts flavor from residual sugars etc. For more efficient filtering you need activated charcoal which can be reused by boiling.
              wal

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" <jsducote@...> wrote:

              > I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.
              >
              > In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
              > -j
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Any advice anyone??
              > >
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > This is my first post. I have successfully ran 2 batches of sugar wash through my 5 gallon pot still.
              > > >
              > > > I have done alot of reading & planning before I ran(I'm glad I did).
              > > > Both runs turned out well.
              > > >
              > > > I filtered the finished product through hickory chunks that I charred in a campfire, which really seemed to smooth the drink.
              > > >
              > > > Now my question is how many times can I re-use the same charcoled hickory? Can it be used forever? Will I need to made new chars? if so, how often? I have used my original hickory both times. I just rinse it with water & let dry & put it in a ziplock bag for next time.
              > > >
              > > > Any advice buy you pro's is appreciated.
              > > >

              > > > Thanks..........John

            • mav
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
                Waljaco, your right! Hickory wood is usually / mainly, used for smoking meats.

                Cheers
                Marc

                > I thought for bourbon maple charcoal is used. It imparts flavor from residual sugars etc. For more efficient filtering you need activated charcoal which can be reused by boiling.
                > wal
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" <jsducote@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.
                > >
                > > In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
                > > -j
                > >
                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Any advice anyone??

              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
                  Early Russian vodka was filtered using birch charcoal.
                  I think my axe handle is made from hickory.

                  wal

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                  > Waljaco, your right! Hickory wood is usually / mainly, used for smoking meats.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Marc
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I thought for bourbon maple charcoal is used. It imparts flavor from residual sugars etc. For more efficient filtering you need activated charcoal which can be reused by boiling.
                  > > wal
                  > >
                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" <jsducote@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.
                  > > >
                  > > > In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
                  > > > -j

                • tgfoitwoods
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
                    Hi Wal,

                    Actually, the maple charcoal is used to flavor and modify Tennessee whiskey. Charred oak is used to give bourbon its characteristic  taste. Hickory is used to age some rums.

                    I once used that rum to make a drink for a physician friend of mine, and he asked, "What the hell is this?" I told him, "It's a hickory daquiri, Doc."

                    Ba dump bump

                    > I thought for bourbon maple charcoal is used. It imparts flavor from residual sugars etc. For more efficient filtering you need activated charcoal which can be reused by boiling.
                    > wal
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" jsducote@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just googled 'how many times to reuse a whiskey barrel' and found some information that should give you a rough idea. Amazing how that works.
                    > >
                    > > In the end, you're probably going to have to experiment on your own and figure out what works (tastes) best for you. Once you've distilled your wash you're leaving science behind.
                    > > -j
                    > >
                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnjab01" <johnjab01@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Any advice anyone??

                  • waljaco
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
                      Chestnut casks are used in Italy and Spain - so other woods other than oak can be used (unless toxic!)
                      wal